RPM gage is off.

/ RPM gage is off. #1  

kimjes

Tractor
LS j27 hst
When my tractor is at it's lowest idle, 540 normally, my gage reads 1600 RPM and at MAX normally 2600 RPM it reads 2900 RPM
What is wrong, is it a sensor issue or what is it?

/ RPM gage is off. #2  
What tractor, analog or digital, did it suddenly happen?

/ RPM gage is off.
   / RPM gage is off. #4  
I would check the wiring for abrasions (short to ground) and reset/clean any inline connectors. Check your manual to see if the tach signal comes from the alternator. Make sure those connections are clean and tight.

/ RPM gage is off.
I would check the wiring for abrasions (short to ground) and reset/clean any inline connectors. Check your manual to see if the tach signal comes from the alternator. Make sure those connections are clean and tight.
Well sadly my manual doesn't say anything about the tach, and that's why I can't finde it. I've searched online fare and low to finde a manual, or perhaps someone who can tell me where its located

/ RPM gage is off. #6  
Does is show anything about the alternator? A photo of the back of your alternator might provide a clue. Or look for a wiring diagram for your tractor. It should show where the tach line comes from.

/ RPM gage is off.
Does is show anything about the alternator? A photo of the back of your alternator might provide a clue. Or look for a wiring diagram for your tractor. It should show where the tach line comes from.
I don't have the wirering diagram, but could it perhaps be the Governor that's making the problems?

/ RPM gage is off. #8  
What I meant was, you post a photo of the back of your alternator.

/ RPM gage is off. #9  
I think what Tinhack was trying to point out to you is that point out to you is that many tachs these days get there speed by counting the AC pulses of the alternator. If so, there is a wire from the back of the alternator up to the tach that you should check to make sure the connection is good.

/ RPM gage is off.
I think what Tinhack was trying to point out to you is that point out to you is that many tachs these days get there speed by counting the AC pulses of the alternator. If so, there is a wire from the back of the alternator up to the tach that you should check to make sure the connection is good.
Oh! that i'll try, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.