RTV 1140 Stalling

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #1  

cmonkey

Tractor
Kubota L4701
Hello, new member to the site but ive been ghosting the forums for a while now, glad to finally join. I have a 3 year old RTV 1140 with about 1750 hours on it that has recently started cutting out. After searching through the forums I couldnt find quite what I was looking for. When I stop to open gates and am on about a 8% grade the RTV is idling but has recently started cutting out while at low RPMs, the temperatures have been in the 60s and 70s so Im not looking at ice in the lines, all filters are new, so I cant seem to figure out what is going on. If I stomp on the gas it will prevent a stall when it starts chugging but Im out of the seat for long enough that I cant prevent it from happening. The RTV is operated about 4 hours a day and it stalls maybe 5 times every day now even at operating temps. Any advice on how I can fix this myself or do I need to have the stealership come and take a look? P.s. It has recently started pouring some black smoke on startup even though its a T4 motor (I dont think it has a dpf though that could get clogged). Thanks!!

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #2  
Almost sounds like there's a restriction in the intake, filters been check recently? Maybe a critter has built a nest in the filter housing?
Is it down on power?

/ RTV 1140 Stalling
It is down on power, I got rid of a rats nest in there and changed the filters recently. There isnt a whole lot of dust behind the filter so its been doing its job. I heard that siphoning all of the fuel out to get rid of any condensation and water could work but I'd rather not siphon diesel without a pump. Is this a normal problem with the 1140 motor? Thanks!

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #4  
I have the same engine in my tractor and although it's tier3 the only major change that I'm aware of on the teir4 was timing. They are a great engine and seem to have a low failure/problem rate. Fuel can cause power issues but the black smoked makes it sound like an air restriction.
Do you have a non dusty area like a paved road where you could run it without the intake tract to try and emiminate that possibility first?

/ RTV 1140 Stalling
I didnt think to do that, yeah I will try rolling down the road. Do you recommend operating it at WOT or partial power?

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #6  
Usually wide open will have the most effect on performance with a restriction but whatever rpm you think you'd notice the most difference will work.

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #7  
Check the fuel filters for water, the fuel pump will suck water through the filter if they get too much. Had to put the water separator kit on and it fixed the fuel problems, just dump out every month.

Only other thing is check and see if you have a 2 wire kill or 3 wire run/kill solenoid.

Only 2 things that should make a diesel cut out is the stop lever or fuel problems.

David

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #8  
3 actually, air restriction, I've had rubber air ducting suck close under certain conditions.

/ RTV 1140 Stalling #9  
3 actually, air restriction, I've had rubber air ducting suck close under certain conditions.

4 Just thought of it, remote possibility the spark arrestor is plugged.

On the air filter never have any more problems after I put the high intake air kit on. Knock the filter out every couple months and Filter Minder says it is still ok.

David

/ RTV 1140 Stalling
I will head by the dealer and grab some parts tomorrow and get back to you guys. I burned off the carbon from the arrestor a year ago so it might be time to do that again. Thanks for all of the feedback, diesels are still a bit of a mystery to me compared to spark engines!