RTV 900 snow plow?

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
I have been contaplating putting a snow plow on my rtv 900 w6. Just wondering what all is involved. Seems like I would have to beef up the front end, if I remember right. Anyway there appears to be many different types, both kubota and after market.

I am interested in a straight blade, that can power angle right to left, and of course up and down. The rtv only has hydraulics for the dump function, so I am guessing that will have to run the power blade angle, and would I have to run the up/down with a electric winch?

This is something I am setting up for my wife to run, so I want to keep it simple and rugged. We live in northern pa and can get several inches of snow per storm.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #2  
You will need to get the Kubota Heavy Duty springs for the front struts. The Kubota angle blade has hydraulic hoses that hook into the dump body quick connects in the bacl of the machine. Up down is powered by a separate electric motor with switch mounted in the cab.

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #3  
As you say, there are several manufactures that build blades to fit the RTV. On older RTVs (mine is a 04) heavy duty front coil springs are recommended to carry the additional weight and these HD coils came as part of the cab enclosure kit. I have a Blizzard brand on mine. The blade is hydraulic powered up/down and angle...the hydraulicss supplied by the built in 12vdc pump that is part of the blade mount frame that is specific to the RTV. Once installed (part of the mount stays with the RTV) removing or re-attaching the blade takes a couple of minutes.

Boss makes an excellent articulating V=plow and others such as Curtiss or Kanlan etc also provide RTV snow plows.

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #4  
I have the Kubota (Curtiss) blade on my RTV, manual angle change and that's no big deal. Once on, it does a good job and we have 2200' of concrete driveway coming up a steep hill.

Complaints: the blade doesn't raise high enough to leave it on for other chores. I use the RTV to take hay to the horses and the plow often gouges the pasture,

The blade is a bear to get on. It takes me 5x as long to get the blade hooked up as it does to plow the driveway. That assumes that I leave the plow bracket installed year around. The bracket is another bear to install or take off. if you leave it on, it gouges and scoops dirt and rock when the RTV is on rougher trails.

/ RTV 900 snow plow?
I have the Kubota (Curtiss) blade on my RTV, manual angle change and that's no big deal. Once on, it does a good job and we have 2200' of concrete driveway coming up a steep hill.

Complaints: the blade doesn't raise high enough to leave it on for other chores. I use the RTV to take hay to the horses and the plow often gouges the pasture,

The blade is a bear to get on. It takes me 5x as long to get the blade hooked up as it does to plow the driveway. That assumes that I leave the plow bracket installed year around. The bracket is another bear to install or take off. if you leave it on, it gouges and scoops dirt and rock when the RTV is on rougher trails.

Very good point. I also use the rtv for utility work, in the woods, although mainly in the summer. I really dont want a pita bracket or subframe that gets hung up all the time, or is difficult to take off/put on.

Is there any rtv plows that give great ground clearence and is easy on/easy off?

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #7  

Parking the plow on a low wheeled dolly made a HUGE difference for me in installing/removing it. I built it such that the attachment point sits just an inch or so below the frame mount, so I can easily wheel it up, align things, and lift it just slightly to. Drop it into the mount. Completely different experience over parking the plow on hard ground.

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #8  
Parking the plow on a low wheeled dolly made a HUGE difference for me in installing/removing it. I built it such that the attachment point sits just an inch or so below the frame mount, so I can easily wheel it up, align things, and lift it just slightly to. Drop it into the mount. Completely different experience over parking the plow on hard ground.

I'm sure that would help a lot! Unfortunately mine gets stored on an uneven dirt barn floor. Once I start using it, at least it gets parked on the concrete garage floor which does help a lot.

IDK, it seems the attachment manufactures expect us all to have nice flat concrete floors. I don't have that luxury here :(

/ RTV 900 snow plow? #9  
I have a Warn setup on my Honda ATV. The bracket stays on and gives added under frame protection. the tilt and side to side angle adjustments are manual but no big deal. Only takes seconds. The plow has a frame that fastens to the bracket with two pins and is easy to install and remove. It's raised and lowered with the winch. I had a plastic wear bar that only lasted two seasons. My neighbor bought a 3/4" rubber floor mat that he cut a strip off of for the edge of his loader and let me cut a piece for my plow yesterday. I'll have to see how that lasts on our steep, grooved, 1500' concrete driveway.