S-670D Hydraulic/Transmission fill level

/ S-670D Hydraulic/Transmission fill level #1  

k316kane

Tractor
Mitsubishi Satoh S-670D
Wondering where the fill levels would be on a Satoh S-670D tractor. I believe I have found the tranny one down by the left foot side of the transmission. It has a white cap on it, but when I unscrew the plug it spews oil.. Assuming that one is overfilled... The hydro has a white cap plug also on the back of the 3pt pump, but not sure if that is the fill level or not before it spews out as well.. Anyone have an experience with this machine? thank you

/ S-670D Hydraulic/Transmission fill level #2  
Gearboxes don't run full. Usually half or less the depth of the containment. Rely on "splash" lube to do the oiling...self lubed sort of thing. If you pull the full plug, usually located as I said, half way up the side of the containment, and oil is coming out, several things could be the reason:

Tractor not on level ground
Tractor filled at a cooler temp and oil has expanded.
Person filling tractor over filled
Fluid being displaced by water (rain, condensation) causing to rise and overflow the port.
Foreign source adding fluid to containment.....case in point, early Ford 100 and 1000 series tractors had hydraulic lines from the pump to the 3 pt that went through the tranny containment. Over time (lots of it) the tubes developed pin holes and leaked the pressurized hydraulic oil into the tranny containment. Result, hyd sump level would drop and tranny would show up as over filled.

/ S-670D Hydraulic/Transmission fill level
thanks for the reply. the oil was coming out pretty good... found in the manual to open that and fill til it starts to come out... so im assuming it is over filled and not good for it to run over..... its all good looking gear oil so guessing someone put to much in....

**edit**
opened the fill level plug and about 3/4 of a gallon came out of the transmission case.... oil looks a little discolored.... did the same to the hydro oil and little extra came out of that but brown like maple syrup... should these be changed seeing there so dirty? unknown from previous owner when the oils were changed.... any ideas?

Last edited:
   / S-670D Hydraulic/Transmission fill level #4  
Any time you buy used equipment you need to thoroughly go over it to understand what you have and to prevent further destruction if something is amiss.

Changing ALL fluids is where you start. That gives you a basis for future fluid changes at some reasonable schedule depending upon your situation: Manuals have change intervals posted and they are recommended for that piece of equipment operated by anybody in the entire world under any possible combination of hazards that could possibly occur.

A little common sense on your particular change intervals can save you time and money......after the first change. If you don't have a manual ebay sells a lot of I and T manuals for different tractors. Like for my Fords, the numbers are FO (for Ford) FO-40, and 41, and 43. Fluid change intervals aren't necessary contained therein. Also getting online like herein you can ask other folks about their particular equipment change practices and determine whether they apply to you or not. You will always have the two extremes...never change and change strictly by the book. Common sense is somewhere between.....(opinion).

Clean fluid is your cheapest insurance against breakdown but a little common sense doesn't hurt either.