safety switches on 4100 hst

/ safety switches on 4100 hst #1  

GaryK

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
For all those that use their 4100 or up with HST to bush hog in heavy brush, be aware that the safety (deadman) switch on the trans is at the bottom of the trans and easily pulled off in heavy brush. I found that out the hard way after an hour of trying to get the @#%#@@@ thing going a 1/2 mile in the woods. finally taped the seat switch and jumped the starter. Found the pulled wire when I got it back on the trailer. Just thought I would pass that one along, it might save someone some grief.

/ safety switches on 4100 hst #2  
Gary, I don't have a <font color=green>green</font color=green> tractor myself, but that's the kind of message and information that may save someone else a lot of time, sweat, and bad language, and I appreciate your posting it.

Bird

/ safety switches on 4100 hst #3  
Good find!! I'll pass it on to my neighbor who has a 4100.

Does it look like there's a way to secure or protect the safety switch so it can't become tangled in grass or other debris?

Bob Pence

/ safety switches on 4100 hst
No, the wires just clip on to a couple of metal posts on the switch. A little tug pulls them right off. I guess you could tape them up. JD should rethink this location.

/ safety switches on 4100 hst #5  
Big thanks for that piece of info - how bout a picture to clarify the what I'm looking for - would help! I also understand that coming soon will be a "armour plating" kit that might help- thanks for the heads up on this one as I will be doing serious brush hoggin in 6' willow this summer a long ways from help!!!