Satoh S470D 4WD not working

/ Satoh S470D 4WD not working #1  

smcinroy

Tractor
Satoh 470D
Hello,
I just lost the 4wd on my Satoh s470D tractor. Only have rear wheel drive.Could be as simple as 4wd lever is not in the correct position but I'm not sure which lever switches it from 2wd to 4wd. Could someone verify which lever controls this and what position it needs to be in?
Thank you

/ Satoh S470D 4WD not working #2  
Hello,
I just lost the 4wd on my Satoh s470D tractor. Only have rear wheel drive.Could be as simple as 4wd lever is not in the correct position but I'm not sure which lever switches it from 2wd to 4wd. Could someone verify which lever controls this and what position it needs to be in?
Thank you
it should be found in this PDF.

Attachments

• SATOH BUCK S470 INSTRUCTION BOOK.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 26
   / Satoh S470D 4WD not working #3  
Hello,
Thank you
or this one too,

Attachments

• SATOH BUCK S470 INSTRUCTION BOOK S-470-3.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 33
   / Satoh S470D 4WD not working
Bmaverick,
Thank you! That first attachment has a very good picture of the 4wd lever on page 16. Much better than documentation I had here at home. Anyway, unfortunately, the lever was in the correct position, the drive shaft was spinning. Problem is up in the front axle. Did a couple of tests this evening;

1). Tractor in 1st gear, 4wd lever in forward, active, position to keep fro t drive shaft locked. Right front tire off the ground while the other 3 tires are on the ground. Rotated right front tire and there was absolutely no resistance.

2). Same set up as above except left front tire is off the ground while the other 3 are on the ground. Rotated left front tire and there was absolutely no resistance.

I'm thinking these 2 test tell me that the prolem is in the differential unless both the right and left axle assemblies have issues.

If anyone out there has any thoughts on how to better determine where the problem is prior to pulling the axle off the tractor and opening it up, please let me know.

/ Satoh S470D 4WD not working #5  
Bmaverick,
Thank you! That first attachment has a very good picture of the 4wd lever on page 16. Much better than documentation I had here at home. Anyway, unfortunately, the lever was in the correct position, the drive shaft was spinning. Problem is up in the front axle. Did a couple of tests this evening;

1). Tractor in 1st gear, 4wd lever in forward, active, position to keep fro t drive shaft locked. Right front tire off the ground while the other 3 tires are on the ground. Rotated right front tire and there was absolutely no resistance.

2). Same set up as above except left front tire is off the ground while the other 3 are on the ground. Rotated left front tire and there was absolutely no resistance.

I'm thinking these 2 test tell me that the prolem is in the differential unless both the right and left axle assemblies have issues.

If anyone out there has any thoughts on how to better determine where the problem is prior to pulling the axle off the tractor and opening it up, please let me know.
If the Satoh is like the Yanmar for 4WD Japan tractors, then your test PASSES.

Member Winston here had explained how these Japan tractors work in 4WD. It's not like our understanding with American trucks or equipment. The 4WD will have one front wheel pull while the other assists, but depending on the terrain depends on what wheel is the primary and the other assists. Do you follow here? Winston is way better to explain this. The 4WD almost acts as if the front wheels are independents of one another, yet relying on one another.

Is it possible to safely lift the front end, turn the drive shaft to the entire front axle and see how these two wheels would spin? Then allowing someone to add just a little bit of friction to one wheel and see what the other one would do?

I have a 2WD tractor and have only read the explanations to some detailed level. And I don't have a loader, so I avoid answering those questions all together, unless I see it in documented manuals for the troubleshooting section for these Japan machines.

At one time, there was a very active Mitsubishi-Satoh group out there on Yahoo Groups. They moved to this spot, but the frequency of activity has dropped considerably.
main groups.io Group

The next active group isn't the TBN, it's Tractorforum.com Plus there, they have an extensive manuals section for these machines too. Well over 70+ manuals all for free on just the Mitsubishi and Satoh equipment.

In the past 6 months the activity on forums has dropped a good deal. I'm not so certain why. Even here on TBN.

I did have the back end jacked up with the back wheels off the ground the other day. the tractor was running in gear and in 4wd. The front drive shaft was spinning and the tractor didn't move. Not quite the same test you described but does it tell us the same thing?

If not I can run the other test you described but we're getting snow today in colorado and a project has taken over my garage. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow.

/ Satoh S470D 4WD not working #7  
I think your problem is ring/pinion. I think if you had one wheel on the ground & one jacked up & both jacked up wheels turned without resistance that it wouldn't be in the final drives. I do have used FWD parts.

I think your problem is ring/pinion. I think if you had one wheel on the ground & one jacked up & both jacked up wheels turned without resistance that it wouldn't be in the final drives. I do have used FWD parts.
lens12,
Thanks, I will pull it apart sooner or later. I've been toying with getting another tractor for a while. I may get another one before I tear in to this one. I will let you know what I find and hopefully you will have the part I need.
Thanks,
Sam

Lens12,
Lets assume it is the ring/pinion. Do you have this part and what would be the price?
Sam