Comparison Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #11  
OH and if you are springing for a high dollar suspension seat, why not get the Ferris or Simplicity and put a suspension seat on that on top of the good spring suspension already on the frame. The frame suspension helps protect the mower AND also the OPERATOR from hard bumps. I would think that with a suspension seat to go with the spring over shock suspension system on the Ferris, it would be like riding in a luxury car.

That was my thoughts as well, so I tried it on my 3100z. Almost vertigo inducing because it was so soft and leaned so much in turns. I have bad sinuses and inner ear issues so I may be too soft for mowing on a cloud. I went back to the standard seat and still enjoy the comfort over my older bobcat. It truly was harder to precisely control the machine at higher speeds due to the swimminess.

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #12  
Both are good mowers. But, the main reason I would choose a Ferris would be because of the suspension system, IF your ground is rough enough to necessitate it. I see myself someday getting the Ferris when my aging joints call for it!
Until then, have you tried the flex forks on your Hustler ?
I put a set of flex forks on my Super Z this spring.
I like them. They do help take the harshness out of the bumps.

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #13  

Yeah I have them. Never tried mowing with the standard forks so I don't know what kind of improvements they make. But, it almost seems like the spring rate is too tight because they don't really seem to "flex" all that much.

With that said... I'll probably buy the Exmark suspension seat and see how that goes

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #14  
And the spring tension on the Ferris is adjustable just like the shocks on the rear of a motorcycle.

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #15  
My main gripe with mowers is suspension/operator comfort. Down here I have drought cracks in the clay soil and hoof prints. Where practical I run a pasture renovator and spike toothed harrow across the land to smooth it out and that helps a lot.

Many designs of suspension systems are out there and most are pretty basic. I have purchased the suspension seat (about $200 aftermarket) with the operator firmness adjustment, spring and shock system. Alone it works "Fair to Middlin". My Branson tractor has an air seat with an air pump installed which you can set the pressure to suit you; just like 18 wheel OTR trucks use. That really does a great job for that tractor. I looked for one to fit a mower and found none. But I did find an air ride spring replacement motorcycle bag from TC Bros. Choppers, for about $75, that I rigged up with an OEM spring and works pretty good on one of my ZTs. I set the pressure to 10psig for the best ride.

I use air cushions as a supplement to the mechanical spring suspension seat which help a lot on that mower. The one I use is the LTV, made for truckers, for about $90 online. Comes with a pump and you can set the pressure to suit. Really nice. Other thing is I run my air pressure in my tires low too, which helps, and yes I have sealing problems due to the low pressures (around 8 psig my preferred pressure) as the tires age. However, tire to rim sealing compound available at NAPA solves that problem.

The other gripe is clippings in the eyes. Eyes are wet, clippings dry; like a magnet on iron shavings. Side discharge with the wind blowing is really hard to control even with enclosed plastic, one piece safety goggles with air holes in the side. I wear glasses and use ear plugs too. Plus I enjoy a beverage of choice when mowing. Things really get all jammed up in the facial arena. When possible I usually run with the deflector up to smooth out the clippings and avoid a wind row which just aggravates the problem.

Especially in the spring when the grass contains a lot of water, deck clogging is a problem, especially on the fabricated decks with 3 blades that most ZTs flaunt. I even installed a couple of deck wash down ports and that does little good. I have a little 46" conventional with 2 blades and a stamped deck which does much better in the spring without clogging. Removing that center blade and having curvature to the deck helps to get the grass out fast, and no corners to get jammed up.

I find that the higher/taller fabricated decks, help in grass discharge and less clogging as there is more room for the clippings to exit.

Other problem to look for is frontal discharge with the higher height settings......something else to blow up in your face. Some mower mfgrs. pay particular attention to that.....with their fabricated steel decks.

I Have a pretty good sized area to mow and a lot of variable terrain besides the ground surface problems. It requires a lot of variables and different mowers including the tractor mounted 6' brush hog for the large areas. I enjoy mowing but not bouncing around.

I hope this helps someone.

Mark

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #16  
Another thing I like about the Ferris is the front wheel swivel bearings are sealed. No grease leaking out and getting on your clothes when greasing the mower spindle and only grease once a year. Even then, I don't think it will take any grease since none leaks out during operation.

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #17  

I bought 2 sets for 2 different sized ZTs, at $200 a pop. Like TSO said, they are too stiff to do any good. I even added about 50# of weight to the front of my 44" Hustler Fastrak in an attempt to get some "knee action" out of them to no avail.

Mark

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #18  
We bought a Ferris IS700Z two weeks ago after two of my neighbors and a close friend recommended Ferris. The ride makes them well worthwhile. And I have never seen a nicer cut from any mower.

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #19  
Haha. You just made this tough on me again. =). I was just going to go ahead and pick up the Cheetah, but now you have me thinking, "Do I need that machine and is it worth the extra cost?"

I just sold my old ExMark and purchased a Ferris IS700Z. Huge mistake. The suspension is a joke. This thing is trying to beat me to death. I've lowered tire pressure to 8 lbs. and added a suspension under the seat. No help. The ExMark with a rigid frame and solid front tires had a smoother ride. Plus the 27 HP Briggs ans Stratton uses much more gas. It does cut well. Although the main deck belt flipped over in the first 2 weeks.
Too late for me. Don't make the same mistake. Wish I had the old machine back.

/ Scag Tiger Cat vs. Ferris IS 700z #20  
Another thing I like about the Ferris is the front wheel swivel bearings are sealed. No grease leaking out and getting on your clothes when greasing the mower spindle and only grease once a year. Even then, I don't think it will take any grease since none leaks out during operation.

Interesting you mention the front fork grease. My machine has screws plugging the greasing holes while the other places that need grease...wheel axles and deck pulleys are equipped with zerks. Reading the manual, seldom do they require grease and when they do, you pull the screw, install the zerk, grease, pull the zerk and return the screw....per the manual. I just stuck zerks in them gave it a few pumps and that's that.