SCID PLATE THOUGHTS

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS #1  

mytonka

Tractor
Terramite T5C
I am thinking of making a skid plate to protect the vital parts underneath.
I plan to use her in the woods. There are a lot of branches & vines that could wrought havoc down below.
so far I can only see positives in making the plate.

*protect from branches & vines
*protect from exuberant operators judgment.
*protect from water/snow/rock/etc
*add a little more weight at low center of gravity.

I was thinking of using 3/8 to 1/2 steel.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? It would be appreciated.

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS #2  
Not much area to cover under a T5C, mostly the main pump, torquemotor, and a few hoses. I suggest that 3/8" would be plenty HD. IMO, useful weight gained may be neglible if noticeable at all. Lowering the CG would likely be a matter of how much total weight is added. T5's frame will take loads any time the plate (vs another something) snags on a stump or rock so keep that in mind when deciding attachment points. (Still have service access?)

Obvious advantage of a skid plate could be something to 'skid' on if one has to untangle/drag from the 'jungle' with another machine. :D

Driving stability can be improved by swapping rear rims for wider, or ones with more offset. (Diameter/height is moot with 2WD)

T5's limited swing angle makes it pretty hard to tip one over when digging/dumping. That said, modded or alternate r-stab pads can help, and there is enough boom/hydraulic power to get one into trouble when thrashing above ground. (also for getting 'unstuck')

btw, I had an awesome digging 'tooth' made for my stinger by the fine folks as MIE. (indestructible AFAICT) It harnesses T5's digging power far better than the std 16" bucket when ripping up roots, vines, saplings with minimal soil disturbance. So far it's the best weapon I have against mature, well-established autumn olive, for example. Once dug out, I'm grappling some real monsters with the NH to the fire pile from there. ('Hound Dog' grapple is also very well built) If I didn't have the grapple, I'd use 'Brush Grubber' to tote them.

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS #3  
1/8" would likely be strong enough. Depends on distance of clear span between brackets.

For example, 1/2" spanning 12" would probably have a load bearing strength of 2000lbs. :)

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS #4  
Made mine 1/4 inch and it is all the weight I want to handle to get it on and off. Wouldn't work it on my rocky ground without the plate on. 100_5397.jpg

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS
The Old Grind
Good advise on the attachment points. It may be better to make attachment points on the sides rather than from below.
My machine is still a work in progress. However once I have her ready getting stuck will be in the cards. life is messy & dirt is fun.
Tires also a good idea do you run oversized tires?
Say you got a picture of that digging tooth? sounds like "THE" Weapon.

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS
Ovrszd
if i am armed with that knowledge I may have to test it :laughing:
Im thinking 3/8 may do the trick.

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS
Matt W
You got a Picture of that skid plate?
How did you make the attachment points?
I notice that my drive motor sits just below the frame sides. How did you get past that problem?

/ SCID PLATE THOUGHTS #8  
MT, used the 'hook' today, I did, digging up stray autumn olive and some elm saplings by the roots. (it never ends)
i-zPM55mm-L.jpg i-Pmnb4jv-L.jpg

btw, I had to go a bit beyond MIE's std 'worksheet' when ordering due to T5's non-typical bucket hookup config. (second pic) Bob & Tony are more 'custom capable' detail-wise than is apparent from their website. This tool is seriously rugged & I doubt I could ever bend or break it ... or the Hound Dog grapple they built for me. ;) Michigan Iron and Equipment, Kioti Tractors, Kioti Implements, Kodiak Attachments, Befco, Hound Dog Attachments, Dk Series Tractors, Central Michigan
tog (jon)