Sealing Concrete Floors

/ Sealing Concrete Floors #1  

Roger Mulkey

Tractor
Kubota L4310 HST/4WD
Any advice on sealing a new concrete shop floor and RV barn to stop any oil stains and make the sweeping easy? The primay us is as a wood working shop, but I will routinely have a truck or tractor in the same areas. So far I starting to look at epoxy/industrial coatings. Anybody have experience with this type of coating? I have seen disasterous results using acrilic 'garage floor' paints. They peal and hot tires tend to soften the paint. The new concrete has a vapor barrier installed and the concrete guy supposedly put in something to make the concrete water proof. It still looks like regular concrete to me.
Thanks.

/ Sealing Concrete Floors #2  
Roger, I poured a new shop floor several months ago. The guy who did it for me said to wait 1 year before I put a sealer down. I have always gone with a sealer that looks like grey paint.

/ Sealing Concrete Floors #4  
The floors at the shop are painted with a two part epoxy and have held up well. When the new shop was built they waited two or three months before painting. Unsure of the prep that was used but I can say the paint is pretty tough we work on it every day. Cleans up pretty easy. Then once a month they have the floors cleaned with a machine on the weekend. Keeps them looking nice.
Gordon

/ Sealing Concrete Floors #5  
Two part epoxy is great, but make sure the area is very well ventilated during application.

I haven't sealed the floor in my shop. Instead, I keep large pieces of cardboard to slide underneath vehicles and equipment and supplies of sawdust and kitty litter to sprinkle on any spills. Sweeping is a never ending chore....../w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Pat (Techno-Tractor Mom)