Seasonal price/sales question

/ Seasonal price/sales question #1  

Cort

Tractor
None yet
I've been subcompact/compact tractor shopping for about a month now, but was wondering if I'm better off waiting until the spring.

Pros:
1. Better selection as more subCs come out this fall and next spring.
2. Could afford more tractor as used tractors are traded in.
3. Do they have "tractor shows" like "boat shows" in late winter? You can often get incredible pre-season pricing at boat shows. I was wondering if they do the same with tractors.

Cons:
1. I want it now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thoughts?
- Cort

/ Seasonal price/sales question #2  
There doesn't seem to be much in the way of seasonal breaks. Also, there aren't many radical changes from year to year, so my experience from this forum is that many dealers seem willing to carry inventory rather than give deep discounts.

Any day is a good day for a tractor.

/ Seasonal price/sales question #3  
Yup, I'd say DocHeb is right. Tractors tend to hold value extremely well, and there isn't much of a demand for dealers to dump them cheap, unlike car manufacturers.

You can get rental returns in the spring / early summer, but those aren't new - and I've used them myself as a laborer and I didn't treat them as nicely as I do mine (I have to admit I'm not nice to rental cars, either, especially when I have the full insurance package paid for /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif). But they do represent a break from the new prices.

You'll undoubtably get suggestions to buy a grey market tractor. That might be something to look at, depending on your expectations and ability to service it. They are certainly less expensive than the more popular brands but there are drawbacks as well.

Make sure whatever you buy is safe - a ROPs is really important, seat belts - ditto.

But I haven't seen many "fire sales" on tractors. Boats are like cars - lots of folks build 'em and there is a large inventory. Tractors are a bit different - they don't build enough to saturate the market. Probably some kind of scheme... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And yes, you *do* want it now! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Tractors are wonderful things.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Seasonal price/sales question #4  
Unless a retailer/dealer is selling things that are Christmas gifts, I got the impression in my search that showrooms are less busy from mid-November until the snow flies (once the blizzard hit in Feb, most dealers couldn't keep anything with a loader in stock). Dealers were giving me some jaw-dropping prices at that time last year. I also found it useful to know when floorplanning of a particular unit ended (that's the point the dealer has to start paying interest on his inventory.) I bought my lawn equipment in December, since lawns don't need aerating or mowing that time of the year.

Bottom line: educate yourself, shop hard, BE PATIENT /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, and keep your eyes open for a bargain.

Mark

PS I am in Clifton and have a excel spreadsheet of 40hp shuttleshift tractor quotes from just about every dealership in a 50 mile radius. If you want it, send me a private message. I got my slightly used NH from Gateway in Upper Marlboro, MD and had warranty service done at Theros in Warrenton.

/ Seasonal price/sales question #5  
Cort, You will are not going to see blow out prices on tractors due to the fact that they are not titled or made by model year but by series. If you are buying used you do still need to check the in service date. The boat shows have a wide range of products but considering the median of most shows I have attended I would say the average price is around 100k. Theres a LOT of room for negotiation there. I did see dealer willing to work a little ( 1 % ? ) more in the winter, but then I noticed the financeing deals dont seem as good. Dave

/ Seasonal price/sales question
Mark,

I actually visited Theros this morning on my way to work and was thrilled with them. Thanks for the offer on the spreadsheet, but that size machine is a little big for my needs. I'm limited by weight (towing with a sport ute), and size (driving around in the woods).

Based on the input, looks like I'll be buying one more sooner than later. I really liked the TC30 (a tad big), and the TC24 Boomer. Thanks to all.

- Cort