Securing Backhoe to trailer question

/ Securing Backhoe to trailer question #11  
Yup, bucket down and secured properly along with your chains. Your pins for "in transit" does mean when you are driving the machine as you figured. I'm yet to meet a friendly DOT cop. I think they all hate their jobs. With that being the case, I seriously doubt many would cut you any slack if they can find you in violation of any code or regulation. And, yes, as mentioned, your FEL also is supposed to be secured as well.

It sounds like a real pain, but I've gotten used to it and, to be perfectly honest, have learned to appreciate knowing my load is secure when some bozo pulls right out in front of me or cuts me off. When I've had truck and trailer brakes sliding to avoid an inattentive elderly driver who neglected to obey a stop sign I liked seeing that nothing on my trailer moved.

For those of us that drive for a living, it is becoming a real problem. The law taking effect (2010) in November really makes it rough to be a driver, because it makes the driver responsible for everything, and makes stuff our responsibility that is out of our control, and even if we find it, we are not legally allowed to fix it (who wants a bunch of truck drivers adjusting brakes, fixing electrical problems, etc) so it puts us between a rock and a hard place. Perfect example was a stop in middle Georgia this week for a full blow inspection, where the inspector found a total of three things wrong. No serious problems like brakes, tires, etc, but I still got nailed for one of my hoses just touching the catwalk, a minor crack in the muffler (Penske's reponsibility), but I still get the points and a light out over my windshield (anyone want to see the picture taken as soon as I was told a light was out which shows all lights working? that I sent via email to my boss). These offenses are each given points and when the law becomes effective, will be retroactive for two years (or was it three?) Florida D.O.T advised us in a safety meeting that Georgia was in a "will write" mode and if you are stopped, they will write you up for something. For people who have watched this business go downhill for the last 30 years, have no points on my drivers license, one chargeable accident that ended up "not being my fault in court" and somewhere just over two and a half MILLION miles of what I consider safe driving, it concerns me that I will be fired from my job due to "safety violations" such as these.
The people controling my destiny don't have a clue what it takes to move freight in this country, and how the trucking business works.

Also, old folks aren't the only people running stop signs....

Thanks for listening to my rant...
David from jax

/ Securing Backhoe to trailer question #12  
David,

That stinks. Sounds like drivers will have to do a tight safety inspection before taking out a truck and will have to refuse to go out if there are defects. I would assume that if you were fired over it, you would win a law suit as they were trying to force you to use an unsafe vehicle. Any defect that will result in your getting a ticket makes the vehicle unsafe.

Just my opinion --

/ Securing Backhoe to trailer question #13  
For those of us that drive for a living, it is becoming a real problem. The law taking effect (2010) in November really makes it rough to be a driver, because it makes the driver responsible for everything, and makes stuff our responsibility that is out of our control, and even if we find it, we are not legally allowed to fix it (who wants a bunch of truck drivers adjusting brakes, fixing electrical problems, etc) so it puts us between a rock and a hard place. Perfect example was a stop in middle Georgia this week for a full blow inspection, where the inspector found a total of three things wrong. No serious problems like brakes, tires, etc, but I still got nailed for one of my hoses just touching the catwalk, a minor crack in the muffler (Penske's reponsibility), but I still get the points and a light out over my windshield (anyone want to see the picture taken as soon as I was told a light was out which shows all lights working? that I sent via email to my boss). These offenses are each given points and when the law becomes effective, will be retroactive for two years (or was it three?) Florida D.O.T advised us in a safety meeting that Georgia was in a "will write" mode and if you are stopped, they will write you up for something. For people who have watched this business go downhill for the last 30 years, have no points on my drivers license, one chargeable accident that ended up "not being my fault in court" and somewhere just over two and a half MILLION miles of what I consider safe driving, it concerns me that I will be fired from my job due to "safety violations" such as these.
The people controling my destiny don't have a clue what it takes to move freight in this country, and how the trucking business works.

David from jax
Not to mention weather, bad drivers, little ******'s, etc., etc. All of that and 35 cents a mile.

/ Securing Backhoe to trailer question #14  

David from jax

Please show us exactly where I said it is only old people running stop signs. The fact is, I didn't. However, I will state that, in general, it's the younger and older drivers who are the worst. Which end of the spectrum takes the cake, I don't know.

I also made it clear that I've yet to meet a DOT law enforcement officer who has cut me any slack for anything. It seems like they will take all day, if need be, to find something that is in some sort of violation. You seem to be 'ranting' at my post yet it doesn't seem like you've experienced much different with the DOT cops.

/ Securing Backhoe to trailer question #15  
Please show us exactly where I said it is only old people running stop signs. The fact is, I didn't. However, I will state that, in general, it's the younger and older drivers who are the worst. Which end of the spectrum takes the cake, I don't know.

I also made it clear that I've yet to meet a DOT law enforcement officer who has cut me any slack for anything. It seems like they will take all day, if need be, to find something that is in some sort of violation. You seem to be 'ranting' at my post yet it doesn't seem like you've experienced much different with the DOT cops.
In some states Dargo, if they stop, they have to write. You just have to hope that they don't decide you're their target for the day.

/ Securing Backhoe to trailer question #16  
In some states Dargo, if they stop, they have to write. You just have to hope that they don't decide you're their target for the day.

LOL, I'm always the target! I think I would get a citation for one tire having 2 pounds less air in it than the others. :eek: