Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone

/ Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone #11  
Investigate DropCam HD. I am using 2 DropCam HD cameras. They are completely wifi (I cannot use ethernet...too far). The only criterion is you must have .5 mbps bandwidth upload per camera. Setup takes less than 5 minutes, and anywhere I can access the web I can see what the camera sees. It is motion sensitive, sends alert, and there is on year cloud dvr for $99 per year. You can generate video clips, and the video has digital zoom.

/ Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone #12  
No exeriance with the Vuezone. However, A couple of years ago I went through this same process. After doing tons of research I found that standard "tv" type cameras that sent the image over coaxial cable were not for me. The resolution was not nearly high enough. The cameras bosted that they have high resolution, but the technology behind how the image is transmitted is quite old and that is where the bottle neck is. For me, I would have hated to have bought and installed a system only to find out that I could not legally prosecute because the image quality was low. SO...I decided on HD network cameras. Specifically Vivotek IP8332. They have been up and running for two years now and I am absolutely happy with their performance. As of late, the temperature has gotten down to -18F and they still work, outside, mounted under my soffits. I bought two cameras, a POE network switch, cable, and a 2Tb hard drive. All together I think I have just over $900 invested. I can add more cameras with the only cost being the cameras (~$325 each). If I buy another switch I can add 4 more cameras, and so on. If they are in an area where you can plug them in to a power outlet, there is no need for the POE switch.
These are a web server by themselves. I do have broadband going all the time, although not necessary if I do not want to veiw remotely. All images, videos are stored on my PC harddrive but you could set these up to save to a NAS (remote) hard drive, which I will do at some point.

I had a hard time dealing with the upfront cost of the cameras, but I see how nice they are and they are well worth the money if you feel you need them. As stated, I have mine mounted outside so they are always being triggered. If someone had one in a secure location they can easily be set up to text you or email you if a particular event happens. Very nice.

These did aid in prosecution of an individual. Even the police stated how nice it was to have a quality image and that they are always surprised to find that business in particular have low resolution images that really do not tell much.

My experiance, a GREAT deal. I'm sure there are other brands that do similar. This is just my experience. I will include a couple of images shot from the cameras. These cameras are mounted about 75 feet from the road to give you a frame of reference. Some of them have been cropped because I pulled them from a document I created that aided in prosecution. Picture2.jpgPicture3.pngPicture4.jpgPicture5.pngPicture6.pngPicture7.pngPicture8.jpgPicture9.pngPicture2.jpgPicture3.pngPicture4.jpgPicture5.pngPicture6.pngPicture7.pngPicture8.jpgPicture9.png

I hope this helps.

/ Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone #13  
So it's been about a day and it looks like several people have opinions on security cameras but no Vuezone owners to answer my questions.

I have internet. I have Foscam. I have other web cameras. I'm not trying to monitor for security but rather take a quick look AFTER my paid security alarm goes off. The Vuezone seems like a nice system to do a minimum job for under $200. And the cameras are easily moved around so when I want to monitor the garden or oversee a contractor it will be easy to do without rewiring.

But read the reviews: Its NOT a $200 system once you add in all the periodic new battery replacements and the subscription service costs. And, the customer support appears to be horrid. Maybe that's why there are no owners replying: Its not such a great solution.

/ Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone #14  
I have been using DropCam for a while they work great indoors. Looking out a window works but not at night. An external version would be much better. For the price I have not found anything better.

/ Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone #15  
We use Q-see (and I am not in love wit the system) on both houses.

The downside of the system you are looking at is that it is battery operated. I would expect at least a weekly if not monthly battery replacement regiment. You want something that plugs into house power at the least.

I personally suggest going bigger, getting one of the packages from Swann, Q-see or Samsung (costco now carries it) and wiring up multiple cameras to your house. The problem you are going to have is the wife will look at this one camera, then want to see something else. Trust me. We started with 4 cameras, all houses now have 8.

/ Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone
But read the reviews: Its NOT a $200 system once you add in all the periodic new battery replacements and the subscription service costs. And, the customer support appears to be horrid. Maybe that's why there are no owners replying: Its not such a great solution.
For $150 I got form COSTCO the two cams, 4 batteries and base receiver plus it INCLUDED 1 year of their $50 "Premier" service which lets me monitor up to 5 cams.

Reports I've read so far indicate about a years moderate usage out of the batteries. On Amazon - about $1.80 each. ANY truly wireless solution will require some way of getting power to the system.

The hardest part of the setup was filling out the on-line set up.
Plug their receiver in.
Put supplied batteries in the camera.
Turn on and "sync" the camera (push a button).

I've one camera about 60 feet away from the receiver, thru the floor and three walls. Works fine.They seem to be designed to be both idiot and fool proof. The image is like a decent web cam.

I'm not trying to monitor for security but rather take a quick look AFTER my paid security alarm goes off.

And if I want to move one it doesn't have to be near a power outlet. Out front under the eaves works fine. They are simple enough for SWMBO to use (she's a lawyer).

Pop it into a bedroom when the grandbaby visits. Set it outside to see if the UPS guy REALLY tried to make a delivery. We've had several cases where delivery attempts were claimed when there wasn't a car in the driveway but someone was home.

Sometimes the simple solution works well.

Update at 5 months of light use:
Your correct, it was $150 for the 2 cameras, and about $3 for the 2 batteries which now show about half charge after use from end of January to today, June 5th. No subscription fee for basic service (viewing 2 cameras).

We use Q-see (and I am not in love wit the system) on both houses.

The downside of the system you are looking at is that it is battery operated. I would expect at least a weekly if not monthly battery replacement regiment. You want something that plugs into house power at the least.

I personally suggest going bigger, getting one of the packages from Swann, Q-see or Samsung (costco now carries it) and wiring up multiple cameras to your house. The problem you are going to have is the wife will look at this one camera, then want to see something else. Trust me. We started with 4 cameras, all houses now have 8.

Well, I expected bimonthly battery replacement, but so far it's 5 full months. And as far as "wiring up multiple cameras", I walk to the camera, pick it up and move it. I've used it to "monitor" people doing work on the house, a slight leak I was afraid would grow, and general checkups to see if anything was disturbed while we were 900 miles away.

To me the UPSIDE of the system is that the camera is WIRELESS - WHICH MEANS NO WIRES. I only have to worry about being in wireless range, NO power cord required.

I'm not saying it's a great "security system" but it does provide "eyes on" without having to string a cable or power cord. And the simplicity in setup was outstanding. I'm NOT watching the cameras for hours each day, which I imagine would suck down the batteries. And I'm not turning them off to save battery usage.

/edit - plus the system provides a lot of useless data to NSA!

Last edited:
   / Security cams again - specifically Netgear Vuezone #18  
Good to know. Very intrigued how the battery lasts so long. Would you be comfortable showing us a still frame from one of the cameras. Interested in video quality.

But again, this is contrary to what I had heard but exciting enough for me to reconsider our system.

Good to know. Very intrigued how the battery lasts so long. Would you be comfortable showing us a still frame from one of the cameras. Interested in video quality.

But again, this is contrary to what I had heard but exciting enough for me to reconsider our system.
Again - remember I don't use it often. It's primary purpose was to be able to do a quick check and NOT require wires.

0522203458.jpg

One more update with the Vuezone system.

It does present a problem with people who turn off the power.

Last trip to Virginia SWMBO turned off the TV AND the router, effectively shutting the system down.

As soon as we got back and turned it all on everything worked fine.