Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #41  
Scott, I don't know your situation but if you have the time and are inclined toward DIY a fun way to procure a back hoe is to buy the "Everything kit" from the Cadplans affiliate, Metkit and assemble it yourself.

Cadplans - http://www.cadplans.com/cadtrac.htm

Metkit - http://www.metkit.com/

Cadplans has some pretty straight forward designs for equipment, with lots of satisfied customers. If you don't want to have to do a lot of searching to round up the parts and get the steel etc you can buy their equipment in kit form with any % of completeness. If you want to save a lot of time you can get the "everything" it and just assemble the unit. They have nice small backhoes for 3PH use as well as several other versions and other machines.

I know I could be stirring up controversy but I will be so bold as to say a medium to small backhoe would do most everything you need done with a backhoe and to get a backhoe as large as you might ever possibly need is overkill the other 99.999% of the time.

There kits are good, relatively easy to assemble, and sure will save $.

Pat

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #42  
We purchased 10 acres in central VA 3 years ago and have four horses.

First, you need a tractor, with a FEL. The advice to get a mower misses the mark as you'll need the tractor & FEL for the manure, the shavings (unless you use bagged), and you'll find you can't do without a box blade, landscape rake, spreader, and the list goes on.

I have a NH TC 30 with FEL and more "toys" than my wife thinks I ought to have, but what does she know. For me, this is just the right size, both for the "ranch" and for my wallet.

The NH has given me great service. I am up to 475 hours with no breakdowns or repairs ... just routine services that I have been able to do myself.

You could go smaller than 30hp, but if you need to handle round bales (I do with a 3pt spear), then you'll need the heavier weight that a 30+ HP machine brings to the fight.

Happy hunting