Semi Side Tank for bulk storage?

/ Semi Side Tank for bulk storage? #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi folks,

I have a chance to get an aluminum side tank from a semi that's being dismantled. The price is right...free. I was wondering if anone has used one of these for bulk diesel storage and what modifications would have to be made to fit a filter/hose.

If possible I would like to put it in the air and use gravity for feed but mounting close to the ground and using an electric pump would also be an option if I was forced to go that way.

Any help or pointers you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks... Dave...

/ Semi Side Tank for bulk storage?
It will work well, BUT, I strongly recommend against using a gravity tank.
You'll need to plug off the equalizer port at the bottom, and you can have a 2" pipe coupling welded to one of the top access plates on the tank for pump mounting.
Add a couple rails to the tank mounting hardware, and you can slide it into a pickup to go get your own fuel, as well as use it for winter weight.
Remember, the maximum allowable capacity without tanker certification plackards, CDL etc. is 113 gallons. Get caught hauling more than that down the road, and the fines will require a second mortgage.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It will work well, BUT, I strongly recommend against using a gravity tank.)</font>

Franz, why is that? I set up a gravity tank, and I sure want to hear every opinion about the good and bad - especially the bad. If I got offended, I'd never learn anything.

Thanks for the info. Franz, Very helpful. Didn't know of the regs. on hauling fuel. What are the drawbacks to a gravity system? I'd like to get all the opinions before I put this tank together.

Dave

The biggest drawback to gravity tanks is the neighborhood
P!$$p0% who can drain it for you while you're away. While Diesel fuel spills can be remidiated with wood chips and pig manure, it still ain't fun.
When the little darling can't drop the hose, he can always find something to smash the hose nipple off the tank, and it will probably be one of your tools, or he can put a rope on the tank and pull it over.
When you have a gravity tank, if the automatic nozzle fails, you better have a safety shuitoff.
Insurance carriers are getting real nasty about gravity tanks too, and so are DEC people.
Another reason is that most people mount the tank level, or sloped toward the hose, so they can get tha last drop out, and find themselves dumping sludge and water into their machine tank.
You have to remember Diesel is a lot like old fashioned unhomogonized milk, when it's delivered, all the water and parafin is suspended. After it sets 12 hours, any encapsulated water will be at the bottom of the tank. That's why aircraft refuling requires a 12 hour wait before the fuel can be loaded onto a plane.
Final reason, 100 gallons of diesel weighs 800 pounds + the weight of the tank. That requires a good foundation and support frame, and you can buy a pump for a lot less than you can build a structure to support a tank.

Thanks, Franz. All good points to consider. We have them all pretty well covered, so it looks like gravity will work for us. Others should consider your advice - it's sound.

Hi Frans,

Thanks for the great reply. All very good points to consider when I make my decision. I told him to go ahead and save me the tank. It's off a truck just taken out of service last week. He also may have a steel tank cradle we could modify so it would work with the tank if I decide to go gravity.

I'm not concerned about hauling the fuel myself as I'm in the country and the fuel supplier is in the area once a week.

Thanks again Franz for all the excellent points to consider....

Dave