Series Comparison: 10 vs 16 vs 25 vs 35

/ Series Comparison: 10 vs 16 vs 25 vs 35 #1  

jeepcoma

Bronze Member
Tractor
Grillo G110 Diesel, JD 2025R
Hi all, been doing my homework and am liking what I see in the Mahindra lineup. I am a bit confused about some of their series nomenclature, and the pros and cons of each. Of the following models, what sorts of tasks and sizes are they best (and worst) suited to? I don't feel the Mahindra website does a great job differentiating between the series, so am hoping you can all help enlighten me. Of course, nothing replaces seat time, but I'm just looking to be more knowledgeable in my search before I start knocking on dealers' doors. Comfort could easily be the deciding factor regardless of what the spec sheets say. With that in mind...

Here are four models, all have an MSRP between 19-20k.

1. 4025 4WD, gear. $19,190. The biggest, most capable, but also the simplest in terms of technology. Large 4 cylinder operates at low RPM. 8F/2R gear. Diff lock. What am I really sacrificing by not having fancy doo-dads? I believe this is referred to as a "bare bones utility tractor". You remember that old Ford commercial that showed a grimy grizzly dude out working in a field in the muck, and the narrator is saying in a voice over "Hear about that movie 'You Got Mail', it's a sappy romance and they fall in love and finally meet in person? Yeah? Well, this guy didn't." Anyway, that's the guy I imagine would use this tractor.

2. 3535 4WD, shuttle. $19,875. Another thread described this as a "deluxe compact utility tractor". OK, so I give up some capabilities of the 4025 (at least on the spec sheet), but what do I gain besides a "better" transmission (12F 12R synchro)? Across the spec sheet, this seems to be about 20% less tractor than the 4025, for the same price. So what am I getting instead for the money?

3. 4010 4wd, gear. $19,810. This one doesn't make much sense to me. This one is about 40% less tractor than the 4025 at more money. It also has a gear transmission. It is a fair bit narrower, which I can see being important, and it's about 2,000 lbs lighter as well, so may be more suited to turf or delicate soil work? I'm not real clear on the plusses for this model.

4. 3616 4wd, HST. $19,470. Here I can see the HST being a big selling point if you want/need that style transmission. It's much much less tractor than the 4025, giving up 50% in weight and loader performance, and losing 25% in the rear lift capabilities. It is longer and wider than the 4010.

So, there you have it. Four models right at similar price points. The 25 and 35 seem to be "heavier duty" type machines, with the 25 giving you more brute power than the 35, while the 35 is more feature-packed. What exactly are those features though, that don't show up on a spec sheet? The 10 and 16 appear to be positioned as more casual use compact models. If you own one of these machines, what features made you choose it over the others? What sort of work are you doing with it? Are you happy with your purchase or do you wish you went with something else?

I believe Mahindra makes the 25 series, Mitsubishi the 16, and I'm not sure on the others. Does this play a large role in price?

/ Series Comparison: 10 vs 16 vs 25 vs 35 #2  
I went with the 4025 for the reason of simplicity and design. The tractor is almost identical to the old 400 series International mechanicaly. I have had great service with mine and the only complaint is that the arm rest's on the seat seem to be a lower quality material. That is an easy fix.

/ Series Comparison: 10 vs 16 vs 25 vs 35 #3  
The 4025 4wd is a full size utility tractor and as you can see it out specs the others and it should. The downside is if you want to haul it around on a car trailer behind your 1/2 ton, or if you care about having some transmission other than a simple hi/lo gear trans. If the ergonomics and do-dads are not important to you, this tractor is hard to beat. The 16 series are Mitsubishi built and compare more to the Kubota (between an L and a Grand L I suppose) or similar size JD. Japanese built, well refined, great quality, medium heft. The 10 series are a nice in between size. A little heavier than the 16 series, fairly simple and it is a good fit for a lot of folks. The 35 series is a deluxe heavy compact. It is almost a stretch to call it a compact, and it is a very comfortable tractor with shuttle, power-shuttle or HST available in the 4035 and 5035. Very capable, comfortable and lots of features. Also more expensive. Don't try out a 5035 unless you are ready to buy it. :) You will want it.

If a person does not feel the need for the frills, just buy the 4025-4wd and enjoy the beast of a tractor that it is for a relatively low price.