SERVICE PRICE

/ SERVICE PRICE #11  
my father and i run a machine/welding shop, and do alot of industrial maintance. our base price for labour, is $45/hr, for machine work, and general labour. $50 for welding. $60 for alum welding, and for our mobile truck, or truck and 5th wheel float.

these are all canadian prices. the two of us, are the only ones who work at the shop, and we have a reputation for quality work that we will stand behind...

someone mentioned insurance... our liabilty insurance went from $3300 to $13,500 this year. we haven't had a single claim.... ever.. in 30 years....

/ SERVICE PRICE #12  
<font color="blue"> our liabilty insurance went from $3300 to $13,500 this year. we haven't had a single claim.... ever.. in 30 years.... </font>

No, but you're paying for all the sloppy practices of everyone else. Since you can't afford to have a quality shop and still pay for the insurance, your only choice is to start being sloppy yourselves, and let someone else pay for it.

Of course, that's somewhat tongue-in-cheek... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ SERVICE PRICE #13  
actually, we will continue to give good non-sloppy service, just without liabilty insurance... we are a limited company, so all they can get is company assets, and we'll be out a job we love.

/ SERVICE PRICE #14  
Don't feel bad. I've never had a claim even filed against me and mine is $50,000 a year.

/ SERVICE PRICE #15  
That's one of the factors I considered when I closed my business about 1-1/2 years ago. Part of my business was refilling portable propane cylinders. The law requires me to have $1 Million minimum liability insurance. Because I also made an occasional gas hookup (on the order of 2 or 3 times a month), I had to have a higher LP Gas license than just a dispenser. The insurance company noted my license level, and charged me as if I was a full-fledged gas company with servicemen making hookups all day long. They claimed they had no category for limited exposure. The insurance climbed to alost $4,000 just for that part of the business; It was not my primary income, so I wasn't making enough money at it to cover the insurance. Back when insurance costs were reasonable, it was a profitable part of the business.

For that and many similar reasons, most having to do with regulations, codes, insurance, licensing, taxation and paperwork, I decided to hang it up.

/ SERVICE PRICE #16  
That was the same problem that I had when I was a doctor... now as a plumber, electrician, carpenter, or any other occupation, I make more money and pay less for insurance..... Some one has to pay for those high salaries of the Insurance Company executives and for the lawyers that advertise on daytime television..... "were you harmed by a doctor".... "does you child suffer from Cerebral Palsy???? You might be entitled to a lifetime of payments for his/her care." I have yet to understand why we blame the doctors for everything that goes wrong with our bodies. After all, our bodies had problems in the first place and that is why we went to the doctor. Possibly we should just hold our parents financially responsible....... after all, it is their defective genes that have caused all the problems that we have with our defectively manufactured bodies that they created /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!! LOL......

/ SERVICE PRICE #17  
Junkman
I wanted to be a doctor once and found out, I have no patience.. Would have been a dentist, but not enough pull.

/ SERVICE PRICE #18  
For what its worth.. I once roaded my old ford down the .5 miles to the penziol quick lube place.. I got a real strange look, but they did the rear diff and crankcase oil change for the price of a car service. My NAA is already converted to a spin on filter.. a napa 1515.. ( standard filter for many fords )so they had one in stock. I just had to show them where the fill and drain was on the diffy.

I htink I got the chassey greased in that base price for the oil change..too.( not alot..but they do a few zirks for free )

I don't think a smaller tractor would have stradled the service bay though.. My naa is set wide...

That was a while ago.. now I just do it myself...

soundguy