Setting Height on Brushhog

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #41  
My tractor was a 48 Fergie TE20 so I'm not as up on the 8/9N particulars but a pic posted by Soundman on pg 2 seems to show an 2/8/9N tractor that doesn't have those outside cast-on brackets either. Perhaps it is a factory adaption as the pic of your blue 8N 's rear seems to be too clean for someone to have grinded (OK ground /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) them off. Also in the other pic the owner attached the check chains to a bracket under the seat as opposed to the top link too.
I had to replace my 3 hole top link a few yrs back and I found several at tractor salvage yards so I went with the closest & cheapest. Mine was a bear to R&R. I had to have a new long rod made up as I had to cut the old one out.
Yours would seem to be a piece of the proverbial cake.

You could try running the check chains from the top link. I doubt you'll do any damage to the rear end caseing, but running check chains on a 5' bush hog off of the 3 hole top link does put more stress on the caseing than dragging a box blade, plow or disk.

Try the link for more old Ford tractor info.

2N 9N 8N Fords

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If there's debris, rocks, PTO shafts, old tractors etc, buried in the brush, I don't think anything is gonna help. )</font>

Speaking of these things......
I found a t-post the hard way today.
No harm done, except to the T-post, but it will get your attention and clearly should be avoided!

Fred

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #43  
Whatever happened with the rear wheel height, (where the problem is)?

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #44  
John.. the reason your '8n' doesn't have those ears.. is because it isn't an 8n diffy.. it is a 9n/2n or a fergy diffy possibly.

The presence of a 1 hole rocker deffinately points toward a 9n/2n diffy casting.. even though you do have an 8n hyd topcover and 8n pump base.

Since you have only a 1 hole rocker.. just use that for everything.. limit chains and toplink connection.

The MPC does not list the 3 hole rocker as a replacement for the 1 hole rocker... I've never tried to fitt them up.. so i can't swear that it wouldn't work.. except.. that you don't need it anyway.

Post some mor epics of your tractor.. At the very least you have a hybred machine.. which is not uncommon.. as the 8n/9n/2n engines are all bolt up compatible.. as well as the diffy castings.. they are bolt in compatible.. just swapping the axcle trumpets.. and pump top and bottom if necescary. The trannies are about the only non swapable pieces.. due to the 9n/2n steering pedistal being part of the 9n/2n tranny top cover, while the 8n steering box is a seperate bolted on unit.

How many forward gears do you have? are both brakes on the right side? One brake on either side? Footpegs or running boards ( though those are swapable too! )

Also.. post a pic of those rear and front hubs.. though the front hubs are swapable between he 8/9/2n.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Setting Height on Brushhog
Thanks for the help everyone! I ordered some checkchains. I will drill some additional holes in the wheel support to give me more choices on rear height.

About the 9N parts on my mostly-8N tractor. Thanks Soundguy for the info. I will post some pictures once I take some...hopefully this weekend. What I can tell you now it that it does have 4 gears, foot petals on the right, proofmeter (doesn't work), side mount dist, and model number is in the 520,000 range (can't remember exact number).

/ Setting Height on Brushhog #46  
8N will be the model number.. And a SN in the 520K is great.. thats a very late 52 8N. Mine is a 504xxx, and is atleast half way thru the year.. and has the lower reverse gear. Yours in the 520xxx range may make it a last month.. as they went thru about 524xxx.

When you say 4 gears.. you do mean 4 forward, and one reverse right?

At this point Id say you have a fergy rear end, due to the brake pedal setup. If it was a 9n/2n rear end setup the brakes would be straddle brakes.

The 8n hyd top cover and pump base must have been swapped over, as the fergy didn't have the 3" position/draft control handle.

This will be important to know, as if you ever replace the pto shaft... it will be different than a ford one.

The other possibiltiy is the rear end is off a real early 8n.. like a 47.. and perhaps they weren't ooled up for things like the 3 hole rocker and diffy casting ears. The casting looks too good for them to have been ground off.. it looks like genuine cast edges.. not striaded or smoothed edges

Am looking forward to seeing hte pics. be sure to get pics of the inspecion covers as well. If you can find any axle codes or rear end codes.. jot them down.

Soundguy