Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting?

/ Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting? #12  
I just put concrete footings in, braced the poles and filled with dirt. Save your money on the concrete back fill. The holes got 6 inches of concrete that was allowed to set up. Posts go in and are braced before back fill. Job done.

/ Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting? #13  
IMG_2691.JPG

This is how my post were set. 6" cookie in the bottom of a four foot deep 18" dia. hole. Plumbed and filled with C-7 to the top. Ready to build immediately! This 40' x 64' with a 14' ceiling took 6 1/2 days! with a 5 man crew. Just the shell no concrete or inside finishing- yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3083.JPG
    IMG_3083.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
   / Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting?
I just put concrete footings in, braced the poles and filled with dirt. Save your money on the concrete back fill. The holes got 6 inches of concrete that was allowed to set up. Posts go in and are braced before back fill. Job done.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

I am following the permitted "plans" which require filling the holes with concrete. The "engineered" plans also require that I drill the the posts at 12, 24, and 36 inches from the base and hammer in rebar (north-south and east-west) to prevent uplift.

And I've been reading a lot on this subject too. There is a great site on pole barn construction with a lot of information and answers to questions (just not the one I had on bracing). Blog - Hansen Buildings

I appreciate the advice - Thanks again.

/ Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting?
Work like that would be best at least with one helper. If I absolutely had to go it alone, I would brace the poles as you are planning but also dump about two bags of quickrete or sakrete concrete mix (dry, right from the bag, no water) into each hole after you have the poles braced. That will keep the bottom of the poles from trying to kick around as the wet mixed concrete was being poured and help your bracing to hold the poles plumb.

The dry mix will eventually absorb enough moisture to harden like regular concrete. Some pole building contractors used this method and just backfilled directly upon the dry mix with the excavated dirt. It is the building frame that is really going to hold the poles in place.

I'm sure you will get other suggestions, there are many different ways to go about it. 8"x 8" x 18' are heavy poles for certain.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

/ Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting? #16  
I really like to put at least a few inches of big gravel in the very bottom for good drainage, tamp it down some, get your post in the hole, square and plumb (either helpers, batter boards or both), then gently shovel another 6" or so of big gravel in. Tamp lightly all the way around with a 2x4 or stick. At this point, the BOTTOM of the post will be fixed solid. You only need to keep an eye on plumb as your chosen backfill may apply force to the sides unevenly. Another 6" layer of clay-ey soil tamped down well on top of the gravel you've got in there will REALLY solidify them and help to shed underground water from traveling down the post!

/ Setting posts for Pole Barn - what is best way to keep posts from shifting? #17  
Mike I am in hurricane zone of coastal SC and in process of building pole barn in May. Rebar is required but not three times here on farm barn but maybe commercial.