Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower #1  

rbarker

Veteran Member
Tractor
BX 25
I've had a ton of luck with my BX2750 front blower.... all of it bad! LOL. I sheared an auger bolt this afternoon doing some light clean up when I hit a chunk of wood in the snow bank. No big deal,right? Plenty of spare pins, nice warm sunny day, nothing but time on my hands. Two hours later I'm still sitting in front of a broken blower scratching my head. I can't get the holes to line up. It feels like that the broken bolt has left a ridge which is preventing me from lining up the holes. The auger spins freely if you push it to the far left or far right but when you move it towards the middle where the hole and broken bolt are it catches and won't allow me to push past it. I can essentially move the auger all around the edge of the bolt hole but I can't force it past the lip to line up the holes.

I have no idea how this could happen, let alone how to fix it. FYI, this shear bolt has never been broken before and the blower is only in its second season.

Any suggestions or similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower #2  
I've gone through my fair share of shear bolts over the years...You may have to rotate the auger 180 degrees and then line up the hole with the sheared off remnant still in the shaft. I have had to use a bright light and a Q-tip sometimes to soak up the oil/grease/water in order to see the 'head' of the bolt in order to line it up. Some people do not know that if your auger is a 2 piece ( not familiar with your particular unit), the 2 ends must be at 180 degrees to one another. If you are not aware of this you have a 50-50 chance of getting it wrong. I have also at times used a finishing nail inserted into the hole while rotating the auger to find the edge of the shear pin. Trial and error seems to be the rule of thumb...Would be nice if the bolts were made from a colored metal to make the easily sighted.

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower
I've gone through my fair share of shear bolts over the years...You may have to rotate the auger 180 degrees and then line up the hole with the sheared off remnant still in the shaft. I have had to use a bright light and a Q-tip sometimes to soak up the oil/grease/water in order to see the 'head' of the bolt in order to line it up. Some people do not know that if your auger is a 2 piece ( not familiar with your particular unit), the 2 ends must be at 180 degrees to one another. If you are not aware of this you have a 50-50 chance of getting it wrong. I have also at times used a finishing nail inserted into the hole while rotating the auger to find the edge of the shear pin. Trial and error seems to be the rule of thumb...Would be nice if the bolts were made from a colored metal to make the easily sighted.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a two piece auger. I've changed the bolt on the other side a half dozen or more times, sometimes easier than others. I used the nail trick and tried rotating the auger 180 degrees but no luck. I will try the bright light and q tip to see if I can get a better view of what's going on but I'm afraid I'm still not going to be able to line up the holes due to the resistance. I know about where it should be I just can't get it there.

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower #4  
The auger spins freely if you push it to the far left or far right but when you move it towards the middle where the hole and broken bolt are it catches and won't allow me to push past it.

On my 2750D the augers have to be moved all the way toward the gearbox in the center for the holes to line up, not in the middle of the side to side movement. The key is getting a good view of the thing. If it isn't lined up for a good view you can set the PTO selector to rear PTO only and then the blower fan will spin easily and you can rotate the augers that way. Good luck.

Dean

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower #5  
I had the same issue once. There was a burr on the broken bolt. I did place the pto to the rear and rotated the auger. I then used a punch to drive the bolt out. Good luck

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower
Problem solved, thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions. In the end it was the Q tip trick that allowed me to be 100% certain where the pin was. This was important because it wasn't exactly where I thought it was and once located it took some serious pounding to drive the old pin out, enough to start rounding over the head of my pin punch. When the old pin came out it was visibly bent which I suspect is why it was so hard to drive out. I think it's because I was only running about 3/4 throttle at the time it broke and it hit wood which had some give to it. The pin probably didn't shear suddenly which allowed it to bend. I'm a little concerned since I had to tap the new pin in with a hammer to get it past one of the shoulders but I guess that's a concern for another day. The blower is back in service for now and it tested out fine.

Thanks again for the help!

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower #7  
I've had a ton of luck with my BX2750 front blower.... all of it bad! LOL. I sheared an auger bolt this afternoon doing some light clean up when I hit a chunk of wood in the snow bank. No big deal,right? Plenty of spare pins, nice warm sunny day, nothing but time on my hands. Two hours later I'm still sitting in front of a broken blower scratching my head. I can't get the holes to line up. It feels like that the broken bolt has left a ridge which is preventing me from lining up the holes. The auger spins freely if you push it to the far left or far right but when you move it towards the middle where the hole and broken bolt are it catches and won't allow me to push past it. I can essentially move the auger all around the edge of the bolt hole but I can't force it past the lip to line up the holes.

I have no idea how this could happen, let alone how to fix it. FYI, this shear bolt has never been broken before and the blower is only in its second season.

Any suggestions or similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

I broke the shear bolt closest to the fan. Apparently part of the bolt is still in the shaft. I've tried feeling for it with a shorty philips screwdriver to no avail. Can I undo the nuts at the fan and slide the coupling out to reveal the shear bolt hole ? Do the two shear bolt holes in the shaft line up ?

/ Shear bolt problem BX2750 blower #8  
Fan shaft has two holes on it. One not seen is for the shear bolt and the visible one is in line with shear bolt one. There maybe a bit of play forward and back, though. Jon