Shed -- or first half of future barn...

/ Shed -- or first half of future barn... #1  

txvoyager

Tractor
Mitsubishi D2300
With LOTS of motivation from the projects I've seen on this site, I'm in the process of building a shed which will eventually become a barn (once the other side, a mirror image of this part is added at some point). The roof area of this first side will be 40x14. The peak (front for now) is 13' and the back side is 11'. For now, it's intended primarily as a place to store the tractor and implements out of the direct sun and weather, although it will have a "convertible" 12x12 area (one bay) set up to contain one of the horses if necessary.

Complete album (pics being added as project moves along) is here: Kevin Sawatsky's Photos - Our Tractor & Horse Shed | Facebook

31158_385099436731_692551731_4125312_6092778_n.jpg

29410_387584426731_692551731_4177314_6976325_n.jpg

/ Shed -- or first half of future barn... #2  
So I am guessing you aren't building it with a "snow load" rating for the roof trusses? How about hurricane rating? Looks like a big project that will help take care of your equipment and storage needs. What are you going to use for siding?

/ Shed -- or first half of future barn... #3  
Looks great:thumbsup:, keep us posted with any new pictures...

/ Shed -- or first half of future barn...
So I am guessing you aren't building it with a "snow load" rating for the roof trusses?

No snow rating needed down here!

What are you going to use for siding?

I haven't decided what part to side and what to leave open. I may wait to add siding until the other half is added, then decide what I want enclosed. Teh siding will be steel, though...

/ Shed -- or first half of future barn... #5  
Unique way to do the rafters; putting them on before you raise the posts. That's gotta take some precisely dug holes to make sure they end up the same height and level. Thanks for the pics.

/ Shed -- or first half of future barn...
That's gotta take some precisely dug holes to make sure they end up the same height and level.

I am purposely leaving the posts "loose" in the ground -- although they are leveled and stabilized by small lengths of 2x material -- so that I can make final corrections when the roof is on and the top is square. I have ended up having some great help from my neighbor, but my design was to make this do-able by myself...

Finally got around to finishing the lumber! Next, time to screw on the roof...
28518_391556921731_692551731_4265203_4969401_n.jpg

Last edited: