Shibaura SD2243D charging system

/ Shibaura SD2243D charging system #1  

WestPalmBob

Tractor
Shibaura SD2243D
Hey folks,

I have a Shibaura SD2243D that wouldn't start this morning. It sounded like the battery was very weak. I was able to jump start it with a battery block, but even with the tractor running, I see only 12 volts at the battery. I'm thinking my alternator may be shot.

My plan is to trickle charge and then load test the battery, and make sure I've got good connections at the alternator. Any other thoughts on this? Does anyone know if this alternator was used on Ford or New Holland products?

Thanks Much -
Bob in West Palm Beach

/ Shibaura SD2243D charging system #2  
Hey folks,

I have a Shibaura SD2243D that wouldn't start this morning. It sounded like the battery was very weak. I was able to jump start it with a battery block, but even with the tractor running, I see only 12 volts at the battery. I'm thinking my alternator may be shot.

My plan is to trickle charge and then load test the battery, and make sure I've got good connections at the alternator. Any other thoughts on this? Does anyone know if this alternator was used on Ford or New Holland products?

Thanks Much -
Bob in West Palm Beach
Bob,
before looking at the battery or the alternator, look to see if the tractor has a voltage regulator (VR). The old Japan tractors typically have these VR devices. The old style normall found is big an bulky. The new replacements are all solidstate and about 1/2 the cost too.

I have a few of the manuals, see the attached for the SD2443. The electrical could be very close as it's an SDxx43 machine too.

Inside the old VR, you will find old school bulky components.

DSCF8842md.jpg

The new solid state reliable devices have 70 less parts and are better.

DSCF8929.JPG

Attachments

• SHIBAURA SD2403 SD2443 SD2603 SD2643.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 61
   / Shibaura SD2243D charging system
I appreciate the suggestion. This part (or one very similar) is mounted on the firewall. I believed you were right, but after inspecting the wiring, I found that one of the wires to the alternator was bad due to corrosion.

I think that's the main problem. The battery is approaching the end of its service life. I'm sure this incident didn't help.

This machine has been good to me. Over the last 5 or 6 years, I've had to replaced the front crank seal, the steering pitman, had hydraulic cylinders rebuilt. I was able to get the pitman arm from a tractor salvage yard. My concern is that at some point, I'll have a serious failure - like the hydraulic pump, at which point I figure I'll be dead in the water.

Thanks Again -

/ Shibaura SD2243D charging system #4  
I appreciate the suggestion. This part (or one very similar) is mounted on the firewall. I believed you were right, but after inspecting the wiring, I found that one of the wires to the alternator was bad due to corrosion.

I think that's the main problem. The battery is approaching the end of its service life. I'm sure this incident didn't help.

This machine has been good to me. Over the last 5 or 6 years, I've had to replaced the front crank seal, the steering pitman, had hydraulic cylinders rebuilt. I was able to get the pitman arm from a tractor salvage yard. My concern is that at some point, I'll have a serious failure - like the hydraulic pump, at which point I figure I'll be dead in the water.

Thanks Again -
These tractors are over 40 years old. If you have a model to align well with a Ford or New Holland sibling, you can find parts more readily. My Japan made Yanmar shares so many parts with it's 2 Deere siblings. Plenty were made.

For mush of the electrical, your machine, mine, Mitsubishi, Iseki, Hinomoto, etc all share lost of the same stuff. And much of it came from Datsun (Nissan), Mazda, and Mitsubishi automotive vehicles.