Shipping Question

/ Shipping Question #11  
U could try uship.com. My friend uses it for some stuff he has to ship. Plus u might be on tv. shipping wars.

/ Shipping Question #12  
I knew of a person that moved across Canada that bought an enclosed trailer and moved him self.
Gas was somewhat higher due to the towed weight but after the move he sold the trailer at a very minimal loss.

In fact I actually know of two that did that.

/ Shipping Question
Thanks to everyone for their input! I really like the Shipping Wars idea, but I am going to wait for another thread for that adventure. Please let me get the popcorn ready...

The idea of buying a trailer, using it and then flipping it is also a good idea. The problem with this is finding a good deal quickly. The guy is holding the tractor a couple of days for me with just my verbal commitment to purchaser the tractor. Also, I don't know yet what size trailer I will ultimately need or how quickly I will need it.

Someone else had a thread about buying a tractor sight unseen from Mast Tractor in Ohio. I just can't do that with being my first tractor. By the time I add shipping, airline ticket, car rental, etc., I am at $2,100+ to have the tractor delivered. I can rent a trailer for just over $100.00. Add another $500 for fuel, etc. I am willing to drive 1,000 miles to save $1,500 plus having the adventure of picking up my tractor.

After all, isn't the whole idea of owning a tractor is to do the work ourselves instead of paying someone else to do it? :)

/ Shipping Question #14  
Maybe a fellow TBN'r that is local to the tractor could offer to give it the once over followed by your sending a suitable deposit to bind the transaction.
That would buy some time and firm up the deal.
Naturally I'd prepare a limited list of reasonable specific questions* and assure the 'eyeballer' that he is not to be responsible.
Maybe offer a gift or some other perk.

* like; tires rate 1-10, overall paint 1-10, etc etc., dents, gears,
I know I could and would do so if asked.

/ Shipping Question #15  
Thanks to everyone for their input! I really like the Shipping Wars idea, but I am going to wait for another thread for that adventure. Please let me get the popcorn ready... The idea of buying a trailer, using it and then flipping it is also a good idea. The problem with this is finding a good deal quickly. The guy is holding the tractor a couple of days for me with just my verbal commitment to purchaser the tractor. Also, I don't know yet what size trailer I will ultimately need or how quickly I will need it. Someone else had a thread about buying a tractor sight unseen from Mast Tractor in Ohio. I just can't do that with being my first tractor. By the time I add shipping, airline ticket, car rental, etc., I am at $2,100+ to have the tractor delivered. I can rent a trailer for just over $100.00. Add another $500 for fuel, etc. I am willing to drive 1,000 miles to save $1,500 plus having the adventure of picking up my tractor. After all, isn't the whole idea of owning a tractor is to do the work ourselves instead of paying someone else to do it? :)

Toying home a new toy is one of the best "guy things" ever. My vote is to go for it, you'll have much more fun than simply waiting around for someone to deliver it.

/ Shipping Question #16  
Couple months back I was looking at having a tractor shipped bout 800 kms ( in Canada ). Tractor was priced right about on the tipping point price wise so shipping was the big issue. Was somewhat surprised when the first guy I contacted regarding shipping quoted me $100 per hour. Little taken back at that number as so many variables like weather, traffic, etc.
Novel concept in pricing.

Didn't follow thru on purchase so all issues became moot.

/ Shipping Question #17  
Couple months back I was looking at having a tractor shipped bout 800 kms ( in Canada ). Tractor was priced right about on the tipping point price wise so shipping was the big issue. Was somewhat surprised when the first guy I contacted regarding shipping quoted me $100 per hour. Little taken back at that number as so many variables like weather, traffic, etc.
Novel concept in pricing.

Didn't follow thru on purchase so all issues became moot.

If he is a lead-foot that may not be a bad price. But understand his concept. If he charges per mile, then gets hung up in an accident, traffic, bad weather, etc. Then hes making no money and still burning fuel and wasting time.

A move around here it wouldnt be hard to average 50 mph for a trip to wherever. So in "theory" he is charging $2/mile loaded. But also getting paid for loading/unloading and covering himself incase of traffic.

I dont move commercially, but do take an occasional request to move something for someone. Since this is once in a blue mood, no backhauls to deal with. So I charge $2.50/mile loaded, and $1.50/mile unloaded. So if I have to drive 30 miles to get to you, deliver item 50 miles away, then drive 40 miles back home, Thats 50 loaded ($125), and 70 empty ($105). So total $230. Prices may sound high, But considering 120 miles of driving, ~$40 in fuel, and a good 3-4 hrs out of the day dedicated to the job.....price seems low if anything

/ Shipping Question
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

Sorry for the delay, but the last few days have been hectic. I ended up not getting the L5740. I got a John Deere 470 instead.

I did go pick it up myself. jrclark, you were right. I am so glad I did not have it shipped. Not because anything was wrong with the tractor, but because I REALLY enjoyed my two day driving vacation.

I know we all like pictures...

4720.jpg