shop press

/ shop press
Yup - a press should be quite a help for these. Depends on how many times they have been apart. This set hasn't been apart more than once if at all and is at least 20 years old. I've been riding a couple of these old 112's around for almost 30 years. Watched my dad pound on some of these spindles and have done so myself. Some go easier than others. This particular set is stubborn. It may be worse when they have been used in wet conditions.

Jim

/ shop press #12  
Some penetrating oil may help then, if you're not in a hurry, just soak em down with WD 40 (or your choice) and leave em for a week, if there's rust in there, it'll come loose.
I have a 20 ton press and have had to use it all on occasion to pop something loose. If you have a Cummins Tool or Harbor Freight in the area, drive over and buy one for less than $200.

/ shop press
Just an update. The 12 ton press from Grizzly arrived the other day. It went together easily - although one hole was misaligned and needed some file work. It is pretty low to the ground, but is comfortable to use with my little wheeled stool.

It worked well for my job with the mower spindles. It was nice to be quietly pressing them and not deforming them with a hammer and drift. The press doesn't have a huge amount of throw and the table height holes are fairly far apart so it took a bit of fiddling with spacers and blocking to work the shaft thru - but I expect a nice collection of steel cutoffs is the name of the game with a press.

I am happy with my purchase - although perhaps a slightly better one would have made me even happier....

thanks for the help...my spindles are turning smoothly now...

Jim

/ shop press #14  
Before I bought my press I really needed it. I always had something to bend, press or straighten out. Now that I have a nice one, it rarely gets used. But at least I know it's there if I need it. Glad to see you got what you wanted.

/ shop press #15  
Jim........ I sold my press 35 years ago, and am now looking for another. If you find one at a bargain price like the other items you purchased, please let me know. I would like a larger one since everything that I own is stubborn like a wife. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif