Should my PTO do this?

/ Should my PTO do this? #11  
Dan - changing the clutch requires an alignment shaft that centers the clutch disks when bolting on the pressure plate. I have one for the L345 - according to this eBay listing the clutch assembly is the same for L305 and L345. This listing includes the pressure plate and pto clutch which you likely do not have to replace, provided you get to it before the travel clutch is down to the rivets. I'd get the travel clutch (13-spline) and a release bearing only. (should be under $200) I'll lend you the alignment tool when (if) you need it, PM me with an address. Take care, Dick B

Last edited:
   / Should my PTO do this? #12  
If it is a 2 stage clutch, the 2nd stage may not be releasing, it might be misadjusted.. or just sticky..

Once you put a load on it you will know more.

Soundguy

slofr8 said:
Thanks for the replies.
It doesn't spin unless it's engaged but wont stop with the clutch pressed. The manual states..."both transmition and PTO clutch are disengaged when the pedal is fully pressed down." I'm hoping it's what Bama85 said,
"If you are turning your PTO on without an implement atatched to it, then yes it will continue to free spin for a while.", however, I can hold the clutch in for ever and it never seems to stop on its own. I'll know more once I get the mower but I was just wondering if this was something common or if it was easy to troubleshoot.
Thanks again. Dan.

/ Should my PTO do this?
Well, my mower and box scraper came yesterday. Hooked up to the box and moved a whole lot of ground for better drainage around the house. Also fixed up some road that had started to wash. VERY sweet rig. The L305 does a great job with it.
Then I tried the mower. Mower runs good but the only way I can get the PTO to engage with the mower on it is with the tractor not running. Not real convenient. I'll use it the best I can for a while and then dig into it.
Rbargeron. I'm blown away by your offer to lend me that alignment tool and I'll likely take you up on it. I've got a solid month or two before I can tackle anything like this. Loader will have to come of and I really don't know what to expect once I get in there but I'll give it a try since the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. Either way I let you know what I do.
Thanks, Dan.

/ Should my PTO do this?
Update. My manual makes no mention of it but there are two covers on the side of the housing. One allows you to grease the release bearing and the other allows you to adjust the clutch. I just backed off the three adjustment bolts two and a half turns and LOOK OUT!! PTO stops when I push the clutch all the way!! I was getting ready to split the thing in a month or two. I even bought two heavy duty wheels to be able to do the split once the tractor is separated.
I realize there is clutch wear or I would not have had to adjust it, but I think I can go quite a while before I have to worry about it. Now that I see how it all works I not so intimidated to tackle the clutch if and when I have to.
It's just like X-mass here today!!!
Thanks. Dan.