Shredding tall ornamental grasses in PTO chipper or take to landfill

/ Shredding tall ornamental grasses in PTO chipper or take to landfill #1  

TractorDale

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC 29DA
I've a lot of 8' tall ornamental grasses on my property that every Spring I have to cut and then dispose of. This year out of curiosity I've run some through my PTO chipper/New Holland TC29 and it comes out decently shredded.

My question- am I subjecting my tractor to unnecessary wear and tear ( PTO speed 2500 RPM) for something that I could just take to the local landfill? Would the grass for some reason dull my chipper blades- it's dry and brittle.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dale

Attachments

• image_67236097.JPG
    image_67236097.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
  • image_67235585.JPG
    image_67235585.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 61
   / Shredding tall ornamental grasses in PTO chipper or take to landfill #4  
Your chipper should never even know you put grass through it since it's so flimsy. I put mine in my compost pile with the leaves from the previous fall and a year later it's gone.

/ Shredding tall ornamental grasses in PTO chipper or take to landfill #5  
One of the landholder I run hay has the same deal. I just run my shredder over it. No big deal.

/ Shredding tall ornamental grasses in PTO chipper or take to landfill #7  
Your chipper should never even know you put grass through it since it's so flimsy. I put mine in my compost pile with the leaves from the previous fall and a year later it's gone.
I find long skinny flimsy stuff like willow doesn't chip, just gets wrapped around the flywheel and plugs up the outlet.

I cut the tall grasses by hand and put them in a compost pile every spring.