Shut Down

/ Shut Down #1  

ldabe

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-422 2002 Robin eng.
Hey! You guys are great!!

I am a newbie (as if you couldn't tell), and bought a used pt-422 with 160hrs, bucket, deck, and new trailer for 6k.
I have used it for just over a month, and wonder if anyone could help with a problem?

When I turn the key off, the machine does not actually turn off for approx. 5-8 seconds! Is this normal? If not, what do you think the problem is.

Again, you guys give a ton of info, and Power Trac should at least give you guys some sort of discount points to use when you purchase additional items. Especially "Mossroad", he is the one who sold me on the PT. I viewed his site with the pics and videos (fantastic job).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

/ Shut Down #2  
WELCOME to our elite group!

I and others have had a short "run-on" after turning the ignition switch off. I've never had it go for 5 to 8 seconds tho. Typically, when it happened, it was more like one second.

The first place I'd investigate is the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carburetor. Others have mentioned debris lodging there and that would prevent the fuel flow from being stopped and, combined with the heat from the exhaust pipe and heads, allow it to run-on for a longer period than most of us have been experiencing.

It doesn't look difficult to remove that solenoid, although I've never done it. It was pretty easy to get the top of the carb off when a piece of debris was preventing the needle-valve seat from closing all the way (symptom = engine died, removing air cleaner and turning electric pump on revealed gas spurting up through the vents).

By the way, IMHO you got a good deal. Do you have the Robin engine or the Kohler? Tips and tricks sometimes vary between the two.

Phil

/ Shut Down #3  
Uggg, another one playing for the green team! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, welcome to TBN and to the PT forum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My red one burns red fuel, so I can't help you, but I'm sure you'll get it figured out here!

/ Shut Down #4  
Welcome and congratulations.
Your shut down delay is normal. Some have reduced the RPM before shut down which seems to help
All the PT owners from Mich. have 422 machines, will get you in the next update.
PJ

/ Shut Down
Phil
I have the Robin.

/ Shut Down #7  
Welcome to the group.

I had that run on when I first got mine. I let it idle at minimum throttle for 20 - 30 seconds and then shut it off. That seemed to stop it. I have noticed that I do not need to do the idle bit anymore so whatever the problem was fixed itself.

Jack

/ Shut Down #8  
On the Robin motor it's easy to get to the solenoid and I suspect it's got some debris blocking its valve seat. 8 or 9 seconds of run-on is a LONG time. As I said, the most I've ever had was 1 second or at most 2. Your PT is getting gas after the ignition has been turned off for 7 or 8 seconds. The solenoid should stop any gas flow immediately and the only run-on would be from gas already through the carb and starting into the manifold.

Remove the air cleaner and cover, then there's three metric bolts that hold the air cleaner base to the carb. Take that off and the solenoid is at the right rear corner of the carb, with one single wire to it from the harness that unplugs. I think it simply screws out, but as I said I haven't yet had the need to remove mine. Once you have it out look closely in the hole for debris, which in my experience is the white sealing goo that PT uses during assembly of the gas tank. If you see some chunks and can pick them out, great. Otherwise use an air hose to blow any debris out. Wear safety glasses.

When you are that far into it I'd suggest removing the 4 or 5 small bolts around the carb top and the two large bolts holding the carb to the manifold. Then remove the top of the carb and inspect the inside of the bowl for debris. Be careful, as the float assembly is attached to the top and will fall out if you aren't careful. Not a big deal unless you have to search for the needle valve when it falls under the engine. I did this part "in the field" but had no problems. I was VERY careful tho to not let any parts fall to the ground because I'd just been clearing brush in that area and anything dropped could have been lost forever.

Reassemble and run.

/ Shut Down #9  
sounds like you got a fantastic deal. Where did you buy it from, Power Trac or locally?