Shuttle shift problems

/ Shuttle shift problems #1  

chadhoover

Tractor
Farmtrac 3145DT
My tractor is hard to put in reverse, grinds and jumps out of gear. Need any help or advice.

/ Shuttle shift problems #2  
My tractor is hard to put in reverse, grinds and jumps out of gear. Need any help or advice.
Chad I always like to help, but I’ve never had any experience with a shuttle shift

/ Shuttle shift problems #3  
First thing, check hydraulic fluid level!
David from jax

/ Shuttle shift problems #4  
I'm assuming it's a manual gear shuttle shift. I tried to find a parts breakdown for your Farmtrac 3145DT but couldn't find any, however I did find one for other 3000 series with mechanical shuttle.

That being said, on other models the shuttle lever handle is connected together to the internal shaft that shifts from forward to reverse buy a spring/roll pin. One is external where the handle slips down over that shaft. Another is inside towards the bottom of the transmission, connected to a piece with a nub sticking out that engages the slot in the gear to change direction. It sounds like one of those spring/roll pins is partially sheared off, or the holes they go through are a little wallowed out. That is where some slop is not fully engaging the gears. If this is the case with yours, hopefully it is the external one and should be a relatively easy fix.

If you have a hardcopy parts manual, or access to one online it should show it and how it's connected to the shifting mechanism.

I had a similar situation with an old Case 310B backhoe I bought used and the reverser handle was extremely sloppy, and seemed like it wasn't going completely into forward. It had the same similar connection means with a roll pin, and was partially sheared, plus the hole in the shifting fork was worn. I drilled the connection point out to the next size roll pin and was large enough to a smaller roll pin through it for double strength. I surmised this was caused by years of abuse of operators being in a hurry to change direction while not being completely stopped, going from one direction to the other.

That would be the first thing I'd look at, as to why it seems it's only partially engaging the gears. Add some thrust to the equation, and it will pop out of gear.