3-Point Hitch Sickle Bar Mower

/ Sickle Bar Mower #31  
Since this is the latest sickle bar mower thread I've a couple of questions specifically about belt driven mowers -
What are the major failure points?
In looking at used mowers what should I be looking for?

I'm mainly wanting it for clearing banks on the roadside too steep for my brush hog and trying to use it vertical for "trimming" trails.

/ Sickle Bar Mower #32  
Not really a lot to fail on the belt driven mowers other than the belt - but they can look pretty rough and still run a long time - and the wobble mechanism. So for me the wobble mechanism is the big item. If it is a gearbox like on the IH mowers check for tightness and certainly swab the bottom of the gearbox to check for metallic filings. If it is a wobble mechanism like the NH or New Idea check tightness - including the connection to the sickle. The only other thing is the condition of the cutter bar -if it is bent, twisted, or seriously hit you may want to walk away.

/ Sickle Bar Mower #33  
I haven't found a weak point in the NH451, everything except teeth is still original......and it still works like new. I just keep it greased and use it...

SR

/ Sickle Bar Mower #34  
Yep--wobble box and cutter bar can be problems. Fortunately the wobble box on that MF31 7-ft sicklebar that I bought was OK. But the cutter bar was a mess. I had to replace it--not that expensive but time consuming.

/ Sickle Bar Mower #35  
Yep--wobble box and cutter bar can be problems. Fortunately the wobble box on that MF31 7-ft sicklebar that I bought was OK. But the cutter bar was a mess. I had to replace it--not that expensive but time consuming.
Are you talking about the cutter bar (the main bar) or the sickle (the cutting device)? the main cutter bar can be difficult to find but the sickle is no big deal - I built a new one for just over $100 and about 90 minutes of time.

I have to agree with Sawyer Rob - if the wobble mechanism on the NH is tight and you grease it regularly it should never be a problem. Part of my concern with the IH gearbox is that I store it outside and if it gets moisture in it the gears can be ruined and I would never know it until it was too late. However the IH 1900 strokes/minute vs. the NH and New Idea 1700 strokes/minute definitely makes a difference in cutting speed but if you are not using it that much this is no big deal.

/ Sickle Bar Mower #36  
Just the bar that carries the sickle sections. I did what you you did, but it took me most of the morning to drill a bunch of holes for the sections. I paid less than $10 for the 7-ft piece of steel bar.

/ Sickle Bar Mower #37  
Just the bar that carries the sickle sections. I did what you you did, but it took me most of the morning to drill a bunch of holes for the sections. I paid less than $10 for the 7-ft piece of steel bar.

Yeah. I just bought a new piece with the holes in it for $30, took the driver head off the old one and riveted on all new sections and the old head.