SImpson Strong Tie Post Base DIY Alternative

/ SImpson Strong Tie Post Base DIY Alternative #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
For my sawmill install I am going to use 6x6 posts for the wooden base I want to build. To me the best option to attach these posts to to the concrete base is using the $24 simpson strong tie bases at $24 (b4 tax) for this purpose. I am a bit of a cheapskate and I am having a hard time swallowing a $200+ outlay JUST for the post bases.
Screen Shot 2023-12-31 at 12.06.45 PM.png

What are some other options? I am planning on pouring movable concrete bases 29"x28"x2.5" so burying posts is not an option. The posts will only be about 12" tall. I have scrap metal and decent fabrication skills but if the DIY option is going to take me 10 hours to make 8 I guess I am better off buying them. You guys have any post attachment tricks to help a cheapskate out?

/ SImpson Strong Tie Post Base DIY Alternative #2  
Are you milling the 6x6 or using PT which is 5 1/2"? Also suggest you run a 6x6 PT flat on the concrete then build up from there. You could use these brackets too Post to Beam Bracket by Simpson Strong-Tie.

At the end of the day the PT 6x6 built up like "cribbing" would be the least expensive option and lag into the concrete with some inexpensive L brackets you can fabricate,

/ SImpson Strong Tie Post Base DIY Alternative #3  
You could build brackets similar to this.
Post Bracket.jpg

Also, FWIW, 2 inch thick concrete pads are almost guaranteed to crack. Better off building pads out of wood if they need to be mobile.

/ SImpson Strong Tie Post Base DIY Alternative
You could build brackets similar to this.
View attachment 841712

Also, FWIW, 2 inch thick concrete pads are almost guaranteed to crack. Better off building pads out of wood if they need to be mobile.
Yeah those dont look too bad. I feel pretty good about the 2.5" concrete not cracking, I will put some wire in it.

@Carl_NH I will probably buy PT. I want it to last and I am not sure about buyilding this thing out of green lumber.

/ SImpson Strong Tie Post Base DIY Alternative #5  
Yeah those dont look too bad. I feel pretty good about the 2.5" concrete not cracking, I will put some wire in it.

@Carl_NH I will probably buy PT. I want it to last and I am not sure about buyilding this thing out of green lumber.
In SE TN you should be able to get Black Locust without too much trouble. That would outlast PT lumber by a wide margin and be far stronger while it's at it.