Sisal Vs. Polypropylene Twine on an older baler

/ Sisal Vs. Polypropylene Twine on an older baler #11  
PP twine ruins the fleeces on sheep wool too.

/ Sisal Vs. Polypropylene Twine on an older baler #12  
Back when I ran squares (my 575 has not left the barn in 4 years now, should probably sell it but when I do, luck will be I need it...) I always ran poly. reason being is I sold squares to horsey people and if they stored the bales, their mice would chew the strings. My 575 will run either. The twine discs are sisal / poly compatible.

On an older baler, you will have to change the twine discs to run poly because it's more slippery and the disc had to grip the poly tighter than the sisal. Probably need to change the initial tension at the twine box as well. Your baler manual will tell you what the proper tension is. I use a trigger pull gauge (firearms) to determine the correct tension. Trigger pull gauges are in ounces and pounds of pull and your manual will call out the correct value.

/ Sisal Vs. Polypropylene Twine on an older baler #14  
Back when I ran squares (my 575 has not left the barn in 4 years now, should probably sell it but when I do, luck will be I need it...) I always ran poly. reason being is I sold squares to horsey people and if they stored the bales, their mice would chew the strings. My 575 will run either. The twine discs are sisal / poly compatible.

On an older baler, you will have to change the twine discs to run poly because it's more slippery and the disc had to grip the poly tighter than the sisal. Probably need to change the initial tension at the twine box as well. Your baler manual will tell you what the proper tension is. I use a trigger pull gauge (firearms) to determine the correct tension. Trigger pull gauges are in ounces and pounds of pull and your manual will call out the correct value.

There is only one part number for twine discs on each model of NH small square balers. There are different billhooks for the twine types. Billhooks for plastic twine work just fine on sisal twine. 500 series and newer balers came standard with hooks for plastic twine.

/ Sisal Vs. Polypropylene Twine on an older baler #15  
There is only one part number for twine discs on each model of NH small square balers. There are different billhooks for the twine types. Billhooks for plastic twine work just fine on sisal twine. 500 series and newer balers came standard with hooks for plastic twine.

You are correct to a point. On the 575 (I had to pull out the shop manual to look as I haven't used it in a number of years, the twine discs on my 575 are adjustable for tension via the adjustment bolt. To quote the shop manual...The twine holder is a double plate which holds the twine in the twine. The holder is retained in position by a flat spring with an adjustable tension bole. The tension spring must be adjusted for the weight of the bales and type of twine used.

In as much as the 575 is factory built for poly or sisal and the bill hooks are hardened (which is necessary for poly or bill hook wear can be pretty quick). As a rule, I never fool with them. I always set the hydraulic squeeze for a 55 pound bale and left it there.

Back when I used it. It just sits in the barn now.

Anyone want a 575 in very good condition??? lol

I had to dig the shop manual out, was buried.

/ Sisal Vs. Polypropylene Twine on an older baler #16  
My post is correct in its entirety, not just to a point. I have worked at New Holland dealerships for over 22 years and spent many hundreds of hours repairing small square balers and other hay equipment.