Sized the motor on an old Nuffield 3DL

/ Sized the motor on an old Nuffield 3DL #1  

timbatrader

Silver Member
Tractor
YCT306S-S bulldozer Leyland 344 tractor, Mountain Raise MR926S wheel Loader, Hitachi 19U mini Excavator
I bought an old Nuffield 3DL universal 3 tractor someone had started restoring it replaced the clutch done up the brakes and a few other things then got sick and abandoned it it sat outside for a number of years until I purchased off the son I got it home after replacing the stop cable and fettling and few things got it running the motor sounded sweet. I spent a bit of money on second hand tyres rewiring and a new alternator paint etc at this stage I had driven it around the paddock a few times but not worked it hard. The first time I asked to do some real work towing a five ton dump trailer the motor sized on me. The oil looked good I had not changed it but it was still clean as if it had done very little work since the last change the coolant again looked to have been recently changed with a nice green colour. After it sized I pulled the thermostat it was blocked with a big glob of gunk I suspect it overheated without the radiator even getting warm.
On e bay I can purchase an engine rebuild kit pistons liners bearing shells gaskets etc for about double what I already have in the tractor. It does not really make economic sense to put more money into it but thinking I might enjoy the challenge. I have seen youtube videos of changing liners and pistons without splitting the tractor I think I could do that but are concerned if pistons are sized that is going to complicate things any suggestions on removing sized pistons with engine still in frame?
Nuffield.JPG

/ Sized the motor on an old Nuffield 3DL #2  
Would check the status of the engine block so you are sure it is not eaten up by rust where liners seals against the block before buying parts. It's a fun project and it is very satisfying to save a machine from death :)

/ Sized the motor on an old Nuffield 3DL #3  
If it's very stuck you might have to remove liners with piston and then split it to get the piston out of the liner.

/ Sized the motor on an old Nuffield 3DL #4  
As an old Nuffield 465 owner, I found this forum to be the place to get knowledgeable advice and even manuals.

The Nuffield Tractor Forum - User Control Panel - Login

Right now you do not know what has seized. Perhaps it is not the pistons. Removing the oil pan would be the first step in deciding if repair is possible.

The amount of protrusion of the liner above the face of the block is critical and is adjusted with special shims. It is not just a matter of sliding in new liners.

Block cracking is an issue and may render your project impractical.

Dave M7040