Sizing a Power Trac

/ Sizing a Power Trac #11  
I also had a Steiner 430 max Kubota powered. It would get hung up on rocks and stumps and is made only for lawns. The slip scoop lifts about 2' high. The forklift goes about 2.5' high. You can't put larger tires on due to clearance issues in many directions. The bottom of the PT is like a steel sled and with 9" of ground clearance (1430) it can slide without damage over obstacles. Both tractors have their own implements, compare what Ventrac gets for a brush mower compared to PT (I believe Ventrac to be 3x more). Also PT sells blank plates to weld to other manufacture implements or adapters. See the pics attached, one is a PT to skid steer quick attach I just made. Now I can buy any proportionally sized skid steer implement from no name cheap manufactures and used them on the PT as shown in other pics of the flail and the front hoe. You can't do that with Ventrac.
The Kubota is hands down a great machine. The PT is vastly easier to operate due to the proximity to the implement being right in front of you. Try scooping up a small object with the loader on the Kubota and compare to a PT (it will be the same with dirt when you get it home). See how easy it is to get on and off the machine, and think of a long day working it. As mentioned, when trying the kubota, hook up the largest implement you think you might buy and see what a pain it is (make sure you at least get the extendable lower links on the 3pt and a hyd top link with 2 or 3 aux hyd circuits). The PT is effortless to change implements except getting oil on your hands/gloves from the hyd hoses.
Some people I know have a tractor for each implement because its so hard to change and make all the sway and angle adjustment to get the 3pt hitch right where you need it. I would vote a big no on the Ventrac or Steiner. You might have a tough choice with the Kubota/PT.

Attachments

• 000_0011.JPG
    000_0011.JPG
    415.4 KB · Views: 87
  • hoe 2.jpeg
    hoe 2.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 116
  • flail.jpeg
    flail.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 116
   / Sizing a Power Trac #12  
If your main concern is getting serious power for mowing, then perhaps one of the PT slope mowers but you will lose lift capacity for that size motor relative to a 1445 or 1460.

Ken

/ Sizing a Power Trac
Thanks again for all the replies. They're too many for me to quote, but it's all great information to chew on and I really appreciate the time it took everyone to contribute! I definitely see the trend about the Ventrac probably not being the best choice for me. I have the demo set up for Monday so I'll be able to see for myself, but it seems that the decision will really be between the Power Trac and the Kubota. I'm also planning to drive up to the Sunbelt Ag Expo next week to see a variety of machines and implements, so hopefully that will give me the chance to see some more equipment and ask questions.

I agree that the visibility of the front mower and quick changes of attachments are two major selling points for the Power Trac. Having driven the Kubota I'll be excited to see and feel the different when operating the Power Trac. I can definitely see how the "quality of life" considerations are important to keep in mind as well. My biggest concern with going the Power Trac route is the lack of dealers for service. While I can handle the simple things myself, I'd be concerned about not having a local dealer to help out with more significant service or repairs. To the Power Trac owners, have you ever run into issues in this regard? While I know that dealers add another cost to pay for, I like knowing that I have someone I can call to help with a repair if it's beyond my ability to handle. Thanks again, and I'll keep this thread updated as I progress with my demos and purchase!

/ Sizing a Power Trac #14  
Don't be afraid to come back to the discussion if you go with the Kubota. We've had many people consider the PT line but go with another direction. And that's fine. Get the machine that works out best for your needs. ;)

I've always been comfortable working in my own machine. I rebuilt a car engine completely at age 16 by myself and some library books. The PT design is very simple. Engine turns pumps. Pumps push fluid. Fluid turns motors or pushes cylinders. Electrical is simple on my gas machine. Don't know about the diesel units. However, I've seen some of the owners do their own timing belts and such. Seems pretty straight forward.

Power Trac phone support is excellent for parts and repair suggestions. I have no complaints and would purchase again.

/ Sizing a Power Trac #15  
Also, Deutz diesel engines are fairly common industrial engines. There are service companies all over the country that will work on those.

/ Sizing a Power Trac #16  
Around here, the tractor dealers work on lots of brands. They just have to get parts elsewhere. Most places also have hydraulics shops. Power Trac is very generous with their phone support.

So far, the Deutz diesel has been easy to work on. They are such a common engine that there are plenty of YouTube videos for maintenance.

Ken

/ Sizing a Power Trac #17  
There are a couple of Deutz repair shops around here that would work on my PT if I wanted them to. The chainsaw , lawn mower shops would work on the gasoline PT s around here, too.

/ Sizing a Power Trac #18  
So...I used to help maintain an apple orchard with an old Ford. Mowing, spraying, primarily. The experience was one of the prime reasons that drove me to buying a 1445. A low limb nearly swept me off the tractor into the 3 point brush cutter behind me.

Having the mower in front of you is so much easier to use. You drive over mown grass. You can see where you are going, and get quite close to trees / fences because you can see what you are doing so easily.

I love my 1445 brush cutter, but I wouldn't get near buildings or people with it. The odd branch or rock can sail off some distance. Flails are much safer in that regard. If you can afford the 1460 and need the 96" flail, go for it. If 6' width is good enough, then the 1445 will do what you need.

Some of the orchards around here in California now run a tiller down the rows to take the surface vegetation underground to decompose better. Slower, but your grass has to start all over, and you break the capillary flow of water to the surface.

If you have any 1445 specific questions, I'm happy to chime in.

All the best, Peter

/ Sizing a Power Trac
Thanks again for all the suggestions - I really appreciate it. It's was a productive week on the demo front and here's where I stand:

I had the Ventrac demo last Monday. As expected, it's an excellent mower. The 60" tough cut attachment made quick work of the overgrown acres that I've let go since my Hustler blew up. Even more impressive was how well the machine handled the muddy ground due to all the rain that came through over the weekend. I expected the 32HP engine to struggle a bit, but nope! It cut like a champ. The two major downsides I see to this though are that it's only a 60" cut (the sales rep didn't think the larger finish mowers would be a good fit for me), and despite being maneuverable, it's not a zero-turn...obviously. While tight turns are a piece of cake, I'm still much faster on a zero-turn when cutting around single trees. Probably the most telling part of the demo was when the sales rep got his truck stuck in my driveway. The Ventrac didn't have the ability to do much with the situation, whereas my neighbor who owns a proper tractor was able to make quick work with pulling both the trailer and pickup out of the mud. That definitely got me thinking about what else I could (should) be getting for the price I'd pay for the Ventrac. It was a great demo though!

On Wednesday I went up to Georgia to visit the Sunbelt Ag Expo - it was quite the experience getting to see so much equipment in one place! While PowerTrac wasn't in attendance, I was able to find something rather similar to play with (I forget the brand). While definitely more capable than the Ventrac and still maneuverable, I'm still worried about the rather limited assortment of attachments available compared to the larger market for standard tractors. I know there are ways to mod the attachments to fit the PowerTrac, but it's still a drawback to me in addition to the sales/service straight out of Virginia.

I'd have to say the highlight of my trip was probably stopping by the Kubota booth and sitting on the new MX6000. It's quite the machine, and honestly the visibility isn't as bad as I was expecting compared to the Ventrac. Sure the mower will be on the back compared to the front, but seeing over the hood wasn't much different than the view from the Ventrac despite being much higher. Being able to pull a 12ft batwing is a major advantage in my opinion compared to even the PowerTrac, and having a proper backhoe option is a close second compared to the mini-hoe. I really appreciate everyone's input and I'm sure that it'd be hard to go wrong either way, but barring an unexpected hiccup I'm thinking that the MX6000 is where my money is going to be spent. I plan to find a cheap zero-turn to cut around the trees, fence lines, and other few places the 12ft batwing can't fit - not to mention help cut until the MX6000s start shipping. Thanks again!