skidsteer with tracks

/ skidsteer with tracks #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience using a skidsteer with tracks, steel or rubber. Is this a useful setup to take into the woods? I'm not talking steep hills, just the usual holes and ups and downs caused by fallen trees and protruding rocks. Anyone ever get stuck (in reasonably dry conditions) using this setup?

/ skidsteer with tracks #2  
We have been running a skidsteer with steel tracks since 1980. I think tracks are great. For what we use the skidsteer for, I wouldn't have a skidsteer without tracks. Its main use is on our tree farm for moving branches, small logs, making trails, etc. The tracks make it very useful in the woods especially in wet, muddy, or sandy conditions. As an added bennefit tracks increase the stability by adding weight low. After adding tracks we also had a lot less flat tires from branches and small stumps(2 in 20years vs. 3 the first year). I have never had it stuck, close a couple of times in very muddy conditions, but I was always able to 'wiggle' out.

http://www.willinet.net/~tpaulson/tractor/skidstr.htm

Besides the price the one thing bad thing about steel tracks is that they are hard on concrete, asphalt, and lawns.

We did have one axle seal go bad initially. The manufacturer suggest running the tracks a little looser and we haven't had a problem since.

We are still using the set we bought in 1980 on our 2nd skidsteer. They are getting towards the end of their life - we are out of adjustment to tighten the tracks.

/ skidsteer with tracks #3  
ditto what Paulson said.

I have them for my skidsteer and they are great. I run out of horsepower before I run out of traction.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ skidsteer with tracks
I would like info on tracked skid steers. I would like to know if they would be stable while operating on a 50 % slope (45 degree). Anyone have any experience on steep slopes?

Pat

PTM1234@AOL.COM