Slight Hydraulic oil leak in cold weather

/ Slight Hydraulic oil leak in cold weather #1  

deminin

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I have a nice Kubota B2910HST that I bought way back in 2002...when we retired to 40 acres of forestland. This past Winter I noticed slight oil leaks from 2 of the hydraulic cylinders on the Loader. It's not much, and just leaves a few drips on the floor of my workshop. Now that warm weather is here, the leaks have stopped. I'm sure it is probably the seals in the cylinders showing their age. I am approaching 1000 hrs on the tractor, and plan to change the filters and fluid sometime in the next few weeks. Before I spend the time and money rebuilding or replacing these cylinders, I would like to ask if anyone is aware of a good brand of "stop leak" that I might try adding to the Super UDT when I do the oil/filter change.

Thanks, in advance......

/ Slight Hydraulic oil leak in cold weather #2  
I have a 2004 B7500 which has a similar problem with the right hand lift cylinder. I don't know of anything that can be done to fix it other than rebuilding the cylinders with new seals.

/ Slight Hydraulic oil leak in cold weather #3  
One more thing that I forgot to mention ..... I have found that I can stop the leak by applying some down pressure on the loader when I park the tractor. Apparently the leak is caused by constant pressure at the bottom of the cylinder and applying down pressure on the loader cylinders will stop that.

/ Slight Hydraulic oil leak in cold weather #4  
If oil is making it's way out of a cylinder there is a leak. Either a loose or broken fitting, worn seals or a crack or pinhole in the cylinder. Assuming you can see the oil coming from the seal that's pretty obvious & likely the issue. A loose fitting may be more common, but is an easy fix.

Adding any kind of stop leak to your hydraulic system is a great way to destroy the HST, pump, valves & generally total your tractor. Hydraulics, especially HSTs have super precision parts that are suppose to move. Gumming them up will cost you many thousands.

Remove all pressure from the system (move the levers a lot when the machine is off & the loader is supported), pull the hoses off the cylinder, cap the ends of the lines & cylinder. Then remove the pins. Take it to a local hydraulic shop. You can rebuild them yourself, but you'd spend more time researching, ordering then reordering the seals than it would take a hydraulic shop to pull them off the shelf & have them installed.