3-Point Hitch Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #1  

wayne48

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1433v
I have a 3 pth wood chipper that runs off my PTO.
Chipper will take up to 8" stuff without much complaining (TomCat model from Affordable Tractor)
However, every once in a while a particularly knotty piece will jam the cutter and the 6 drive belts that turn the flywheel will start slipping and smoking until I can disengage the PTO.
Having had to replace the belts once because I was too slow in getting to the PTO switch before they turned to a pile of shredded, smoking rubber, I'm wondering if I should put a slip clutch on the PTO line.
Has anyone done this? Thoughts and opinions?

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #2  
The belts could be tightened a bit so the tractor lugs down and thus gives you some warning. Theyll still slip enuf to protect the driveline if the chipper wheel stops. I run mine on a 75HP tractor at 1000pto but with engine slowed. The belts are tight enuff to stall the tractor but they get hot doing it. You also have control of the tree feed dont you? That gives a quick response as you detect the chipper wheel slowing.
larry

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #3  
Warning - Confessional moment:
I am ashamed to admit that I have a slip clutch on my 4" direct drive chipper, but I forgot to slip it before using it. Lugged down on a big chunk of hickory - almost to a stall. Yanked the trunk out, re-fed it and shredded it, no problem, or so I thought. Later that day, when I went to separate the chipper from the hitch, I couldn't get the PTO shaft to retract enough to disengage it from the tractor. Turns out I put a 45 to 60 degree twist in the inner shaft.

Penance for my transgressions:
Now must fix PTO shaft and slip the clutch before using the chipper again.

Conclusion:
The slip clutch would have saved my PTO shaft, had I adjusted it before I used the chipper. So it's not just the belts you'll be protecting if you decide to get a clutch, but you have to service the clutch by slipping it on a regular schedule.

Last edited:
   / Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #4  
Here's what it looks like:
P8110165 (640x480).jpg
Slip your clutch at the start of the season!

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #5  
You just need a stronger pto shaft.

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #6  
You just need a stronger pto shaft.

Ha-ha - yes!
I was just very relieved to see that the shaft yielded/twisted, saving my tractor PTO shaft & bearings from damage.

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper #7  
the 6 drive belts that turn the flywheel will start slipping and smoking until I can disengage the PTO.

Looks a lot like my Jinma. When you replaced the belts did you note if they were "industrial belts"?

I've read several stories of people smoking the original belts, because they were "cheap chinese belts".

Ranch Hand Supply Jinma Dealer, Wood Chipper , Compact Jinma Tractors makes a big point that they sell a $55 upgrade to industrial belts.

/ Slip clutch on a 3PTH Wood Chipper
Looks a lot like my Jinma. When you replaced the belts did you note if they were "industrial belts"?

I've read several stories of people smoking the original belts, because they were "cheap chinese belts".

Ranch Hand Supply Jinma Dealer, Wood Chipper , Compact Jinma Tractors makes a big point that they sell a $55 upgrade to industrial belts.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's worth checking out.
Appreciate it.