SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser?

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser? #1  

jpr62902

Platinum Member
My internet connection (Road Runner cable high speed) slowed to a snail's pace and I believe it's because of the Sasser virus. I went to Symantec (Norton) home page and used their diagnostic software and it said I don't have Sasser. Sophos.com said the same thing. I'm running Windows 98SE. I know Sasser doesn't "infect" this OS, but I read it can still slow down Windows 98. Any suggestions?

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser? #2  
Retire that dinosaur and buy a new faster computer! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser? #3  
There's nothing wrong with Windows 98SE if you are running it on modern fast hardware.

Like Dos 3.3 and 6.2, it was one of those stable plateaus where they finally got all the bugs out and the OS lived up to the hype.

There is no need to upgrade to XP until you get some program that you need the latest OS to support. Then, do it and don't look back. And be sure to add all the updates.

The Sasser slowdown is network congestion, external to you, caused by badly maintained XP systems running amok. Nothing you can do about it.

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser?
Thanks for the replies -- how do I find out if something is running on my computer that's taking up its resources? Isn't there a diagnostic program that tells me what's running on my computer, and how much of the resources it's using?

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser? #5  
Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information.

Then from the System Information task expand the Software Environment tree and select Running Tasks.

That will give you a snapshot of what is running on the W98se system.

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser? #6  
The first thing to do is to shut your computer off and restart it. Then see if anything changes with the speed.

/ SLOOOOW internet -- Sasser? #7  
I've been fooling around with personal computers since 1980. Sometimes folks ask me why they get so balky and have to be restarted to fix them. I tell them the story about Model T Fords, which had their gas tanks in the cowl, above the carburetor, and used gravity to feed the gas -- no fuel pump. They'd go anywhere with a full tank. But, sometimes, with 1/4 tank or less, going up a hill that was just steep enough, the gas level would be below the carburetor, and the thing would quit.

Now, if you didn't know what was wrong, you might walk back to town, or maybe find a farmer to pull you to the top of the hill. The clever folks, on the other hand, would roll back down the hill a little, and make a 3-point turn, so they were facing downhill. Now, the gas was above the carburetor, and they could back up the hill to the top.

That's what today's computers are like. Sometimes we just have to back them up the hill to make them work right.