Slopes with the BR2020 or BR2120

/ Slopes with the BR2020 or BR2120 #1  

putt_putt_green

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520
I am looking to replace my zero turn with something that can handle slopes better. My yard is sandy, dry, and not very thick. My yard has 150 foot long 26% slopes, and other slopes not quite as severe. It is relatively flat at top and bottom (< 5%). The zero turn busts loose quite often and I go racing down the hill, tearing up the lawn. I already have a compact utility tractor. My 4 choices seemed to be a Simplicity Prestige, Husqvarna R322T, JD x7xx, and the Kubota GR2x20. On paper the Kubota looks best for my needs.

Will the GR2x20 struggle mowing up my slopes?

- Diesel or gas? Seems like diesel would be better power for climbing slopes. Prefer a 54" mulching deck.
- Turf or bar tires?

/ Slopes with the BR2020 or BR2120 #3  
I don't have experience with a GR2020, But I suspect it would break loose going downhill just as easy, although you would have steering during the ride.
I have a similar slope that I have mowed with my zero turns going straight up, then backing down. I have also cut straight up, driven around and go straight up again.

I now cut this bank with a walk behind mower side to side. It's faster, safer, and less stressful.

/ Slopes with the BR2020 or BR2120
Rj,

Do you use a regular 20" walk behind, or one of those big fancy ones? My hill is about 1/3 acre, and there is another one I don't mow, which I would like to mow which is probably 1/8 acre. I'll try our push mower once and see how it goes. A little exercise never hurts.

/ Slopes with the BR2020 or BR2120 #5  
Rj,

Do you use a regular 20" walk behind, or one of those big fancy ones? My hill is about 1/3 acre, and there is another one I don't mow, which I would like to mow which is probably 1/8 acre. I'll try our push mower once and see how it goes. A little exercise never hurts.

The bank I mow is 120' long x 40' and right at 28 degrees. I mow it with a commercial walk behind, 36" Bobcat Hydro. Best money I ever spent. In the first year living here I started with a manual 20" mower, quickly bought a self propelled 20" mower, then shortly thereafter ended up with the commercial 36".