Small horse/hobby farm

/ Small horse/hobby farm #11  
Skid steers are fundamentally PUSHING machines.

Skid steer front attachments are relatively few. Powered Skid Steer attachments are hydraulically operated.

Tractors are fundamentally PULLING machines. The Three Point Hitch is the key feature on tractors.

There are a bizzillion implements that mount on the tractor Three Point Hitch. Powered tractor implements use Power Take Off Shaft (PTO), which is a standard part of every Three Point Hitch. You can trade/borrow/share PTO implements easily with neighbors.

Tractors move over the ground faster than Skid Steers move over the ground.

FEL is the most popular tractor option but FELs came sometime after Harry Ferguson's invention of the Three Point
Hitch.

If you could get a skid/track loader or a tractor for a small farm for general all around work (snow removal, moving gravel/dirt, mowing, etc), which would you choose? ***TRACTOR***

LINK to archive, topic: Skid Steer Vs Tractor. https://www.google.com/search?clien...tractorbynet.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

Last edited:
   / Small horse/hobby farm #12  
. . . Skid steer front attachments are relatively few. Powered Skid Steer attachments are hydraulically powered. . . .

And they are REALLY expensive relative to implements intended for tractors.

/ Small horse/hobby farm
Rather than opening a whole new thread for one small question, I figured I'll ask this here. Are there any members on this forum with a Deutz Fahr? I'd like to ask them some things if I could.

Last edited:
   / Small horse/hobby farm #14  
I have 19 acres, two horses and a 30 hp tractor. I do everything with it- dirt plow, harrow, snow plow, push gravel, push trees, move the horse trailer around, etc.. It is useful for cleaning the barn- 5' bucket that I fill with horse manure. (someday I might put extensions on the bucket to hold more.) It is great in the spring to scrape up the outside manure dropped by the horses during the winter. I use the bucket to sink steel fence posts into the ground where I want something stiffer than the fiberglass posts.
And I bushog with the tractor and haul brush.
I'd go with a tractor.

/ Small horse/hobby farm #15  
For a small, personal hobby farm including a few horses and other general utility work, would a compact tractor or skid steer/track loader work better? I know the long wheel base and cheaper initial cost of a tractor are better, but you also can store a small loader much more easily, maneuver much better, and probably some other things I'm not remembering right now.

If you could get a slightly used skid/track loader or a tractor on a small farm for general all around work (snow removal, moving gravel/dirt, mowing, etc), what would you get and why?

Obviously the tractor would have to have a loader to compare.

Massey is offering 34% off of their tractors to people into pastor pestistry. Thus Massey tractors get the nod.

Massey Ferguson | Equine Savings - Horsemen save up to 34% on Massey Ferguson and Challenger and up to 26% on Toro and Exmark

Last edited: