Mowing Small Strip

/ Small Strip #1  

Piperflyer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota3030HST
I have a 60" finish mower with three cutting blades that I use for my yard. I have started to notice a +- 1inch strip being left between the blades on one side of the mower. The bearing for the blades are new and the blades aren't damaged. Has anyone had this happen to them and what is the fix? Thanks

/ Small Strip #3  
Also check the pressure in all of your tires to make sure none are lower than they should be.

/ Small Strip #5  
I put on a new set of Gators this year on my 60". I went out to mow on Friday after letting the lawn get way too long. I set the height at 3.5, but it was leaving a 4-5 inch strip right on the seam of the blades. In my case, I wonder if there just wasn't enough vacuum on the blades to get the grass to stand up fully. So next time I'll lower it to 3 (didn't want to go any lower this time due to shocking the grass to much). I'll be interested to see if closing the gap just a tad develops a better "seal" around the deck and do a better job of lifting the grass. Perhaps the wedge of open air just didn't force the grass up enough.

/ Small Strip #6  
I had that happen on turns with different decks. All were 3-blade decks. Since the blades can't contact each other to make a complete cut, they are arranged so the cut of the center blade is forward of the outer blades and overlaps the cuts of the outer blades while going straight. I blamed the strip on making turns where the radius of the turn caused more than adequate overlap on one side and no enough on the other.

/ Small Strip #7  
Chim, yeah, turns can do that to you. In my case however, I have extended straight sections where this was an ongoing problem. I basically double-mowed mine because I overlapped about 1/2 the mower with the previous swat.

/ Small Strip #8  
One of my blade bearing housings are bent, or the deck is bent where they bolt on. As a result one blade cuts higher on the left than the right. Lucky my yard is small enough that I just double cut while swinging around trees and flower beds....

/ Small Strip #9  
If the deck is loaded with residue, it can prevent proper air movement and lift of the grass. See if the deck is clean and unobstructed. Good luck:)

/ Small Strip #10  
Greetings all...I am a year late coming into this thread...but using my ZD331 with a 60" deck and Kubota Hopper style vacuum system, I experience a very similar problem...a +/- 1" strip that occurs between the left most and middle blade. I thought it might have been the blades, so in order brand new Kubota blades, installed...and the same thing! I have cleaned ALL the built up residue/clipping on the deck numerous times, mowed at different cutting heights, mowed at different grass lengths...same thing! I have flat lawn and only occurs on the straights (not the turns). My tire pressure is correct, and the deck mows a perfect flat swath from one pass to the next (i.e. all of the blades are level, and the deck as a whole is level). Also, in get the strip whether or not in am running with the blower vac on, or off (with it replaced by the deflector - i.e. changes the vacuum pressure in believe) When I first got the mower (used) at the beginning of last season, I did not notice the +/- 1" strip...and mid-way through I added the Kubota lawn striping kit, as well as the missing rubber strips that mount to the bottom front of the mower deck, as a part of the bagger vacuum system. I have not taken these last two items off and retried since...but would be a good experiment. I am hoping someone else has had this issue and solved it before I do. Short of that, might need to mount a go-pro behind the mower!! One a serious note, any other info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!