Smoke after rebuild of the injection pump MF40 Industrial tractor

/ Smoke after rebuild of the injection pump MF40 Industrial tractor #1  

Bazzaclark

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF40
I've had this 1977 Massey Ferguson MF40 industrial tractor with Perkins AD3.152 for around 8 years now. It was bought to help build our house down here and has done incredible work but everything on it is old! This month I rebuilt the steering box and injection pump CAV DPA unit. After bleeding the fuel lines (..not easy with the fuel tank in place!) although it started well enough, I had thick white smoke and a lot of soot, and it would not stop with the pull button - I had to stall it on the brake! I bled and re-bled several times thinking it was 1 cylinder not firing. Actually it turns out it was my own fault for repairing the cold start glow plug. It had never worked since I bought it (I live in France and its never really that cold here) and evidently was plugged up with soot - I cleaned this out without first fully understanding the system (read the manual first, stupid..) It was simply pumping fresh diesel directly into the inlet manifold as soon as there was inlet vacuum, and that of course caused the smoke and meant it could overrun on pulling the stop.
Effectively, I purposely broke the co;ld start again, and hey-ho off we go.
Who said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it? Bloody good advice. Perhaps this helps someone else :)