SMV Sign on Trailer

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #11  
Some of us have a trailer which spends most of it's time behind a tractor but on occasions is pulled behind a truck. I am guilty of having a SMV permanently fixed to one. The trailer is also licensed & I am very generous with the reflective tape.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #13  
:) 23 is pretty fast for an 8n with a load of wood on back. I got a couple or old n's, the gears were cut pretty tall.

It handles it allright. But it does take awhile to get up to speed

With a Sherman Step up?

Yep, Sherman over/under
I actually bet it is closer to 25mph. Hard to tell exactly following with a truck. But tractordata lists 23.1, and I am betting thats with 11.2-28's. It as 12.4-28's on it....

Either way, yea its fast. Which is why it stays around. Cause our wood cutting involves up to 3 miles of road travel, and that is almost brutal on my 13mph kubota:mur:

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #14  
I have clocked my NAA at a hair over 30, empty. What scares me are the N brakes suck in general, I am always nervous in road gear with a load. Maybe yours has better brakes than mine.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #15  
Why do people put a SMV sign on their trailer? It drives me nuts plus it is illegal if they drive faster than 25MPH. They do make things called reflectors to make it more visible.

I do because I use the same trailer behind both my truck and my tractor. If I'm below 25, which that would be my tractor, it's the law in NY, yet I've never heard about over 25 being illegal. There are tractors that go as fast as 40 and I still see them on those too.

/ SMV Sign on Trailer
It handles it allright. But it does take awhile to get up to speed

Yep, Sherman over/under
I actually bet it is closer to 25mph. Hard to tell exactly following with a truck. But tractordata lists 23.1, and I am betting thats with 11.2-28's. It as 12.4-28's on it....

Either way, yea its fast. Which is why it stays around. Cause our wood cutting involves up to 3 miles of road travel, and that is almost brutal on my 13mph kubota:mur:

Use your phone to clock GPS it. I like the Ulysse Speedometer app.

I have clocked my NAA at a hair over 30, empty. What scares me are the N brakes suck in general, I am always nervous in road gear with a load. Maybe yours has better brakes than mine.

Here I thought the 4240 was fast. It will do 20MPH.

I do because I use the same trailer behind both my truck and my tractor. If I'm below 25, which that would be my tractor, it's the law in NY, yet I've never heard about over 25 being illegal. There are tractors that go as fast as 40 and I still see them on those too.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv28.pdf

/ SMV Sign on Trailer #17  
Why do people put a SMV sign on their trailer? It drives me nuts plus it is illegal if they drive faster than 25MPH. They do make things called reflectors to make it more visible.

Just what is the big deal with this anyway? As others have said some of us use the same items behind several vehicles, some may need it some don't.

I would much rather worry about people who don't have them that should. Or texters/cell phone/smart phone users, paper readers, tailgaters, non-stoppers. Or people who have nothing on after dark, no reflective parts, lights or anything on tractors, bikes, etc.

Or what are farmers supposed to do with the newer tractors that do 30-34MPH. Take them on and off depending on what tractor is connected to the item?

Last edited: