Snap ring for Bush hog shaft.

/ Snap ring for Bush hog shaft. #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
I took the PTO shaft off to shorten it on the bandsaw and this involved removing a snap ring. I wasn't able to get the snap ring back on and wound up breaking it. I measured the gearbox shaft with a micrometer and it is close to 1-3/8 inches.

This may be a dumb question but if the shaft is 1-3/8 inches then should a 1-3/8 inch snap ring work for replacing it? I don't have an owner's manual to order parts from or else I would do that but I did order some 1-3/8 inch snap rings and I also got a snap ring plier that will hopefully work in installing it.

It's hard to find good snap ring pliers that go up to sizes that are that large. I may get another pair if anyone knows of a good snap ring plier that would work for larger sizes. This may be the only time I would need them though ha. The snap ring keeps the shaft from coming off if the shear pin breaks. I'm really not sure it would come off even if the shear pin broke, but I want to try to get it back on anyways.

The bush hog is a busy bee 4 ft. if that helps at all.

/ Snap ring for Bush hog shaft. #2  
No specific answer to your question. Keep in mind. If the shaft is a certain size the snap ring would have to fit a bit larger or smaller shaft depending on which side the grove is on that the snap ring sets in. Also there are internal and external snap rings. (The holes for the pliers being located inside or outside of the snap rings diameter) that affects which pliers you buy or just be careful to buy ones that are adjustable to work either way. Expand when you squeeze the handle or shrink when you squeeze the handle.

/ Snap ring for Bush hog shaft.
It is an external snap ring. The shaft has a groove around the outside diameter that it sits in.