Snapper 1855A fireing issue?

/ Snapper 1855A fireing issue? #1  

dwhill1999

Tractor
snapper 1855a
Hey everyone. I'm having an issue with my first and only Tractor.
The motor hesitates especially when it get hot.
I checked the compression and each cyclinder has about 75psi each.
One side of the coil is not working. When i removed the left spark plug wire the engine still limps along. I then remove the right spark plug wire and the engine stops.
When I switch the wires at the coil the opposite happens, when I remove the right spark plug cylinder wire the engine limps along, while the lieft cyclinder, when the spark is removed, the engine stops.
Any ideas what could be the issue? Spark plug wire? Coil? what else is there?

/ Snapper 1855A fireing issue? #2  
It certainly sounds like the coil is bad if swapping the plug wires fires one plug then the other, and that is a fairly common problem. While replacing the coil, I would definitely replace the points and condensor. Note however, I had a similar symptom on an engine that had worn valves that required lapping and caused a similar problem. It acted like this, but if you are *sure* that one side of the coil is not working, then replace the coil, points, condenser (and plugs if they are not new). That is an Onan L B48M-GA018 engine, so I would check online or locally to find an Onan or Snapper parts dealer.

I see the points are #160-1183; and the condensor is #312-0246 Condenser.

/ Snapper 1855A fireing issue?
Thanks Thomas I'll, try it. I'm not sure what lapping is. but I will hope it is the coil. I have a picture of what I think the points and condenser is. here it is.

IMAG2197.jpg

/ Snapper 1855A fireing issue?
Well i replaced the Coil, plugs, and plug wires. It seems to be running stronger. Still issues with one cyclinder not fireing as strong when i remove the spark plug cables one at a time.
I'm afraid i'm going to have the take it apart and look at lapping the valves. My old spark plugs seem carbonized. black. Does that mean the fuel isnt' burning all the way?
I would replace the condenser but the only one the cummins dealer had what a horizontal mount style. i have the vertical breaker box that the condensor bolts on the back wall not the engine block wall. Does anyone know if they still make that style condenser? The dealer wanted to sell me the points for $95 a little steep for me. Plugging away. Hopefully the grass will not get to high. :)