Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow plowing using rubber plow edge

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge #1  

alia176

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
I scored a Meyer 6.5' plow setup for a pickup truck last year so I wanted to use it this snow season. I'm using a SSQA plate and converted the system over for SSQA operation. Trouble is that the metal cutting edge is worn down quite a bit and I need to do something. I'm plowing gravel roads so I'm thinking of getting a rubber plow edge and sandwich it between the worn steel cutting edge and the snow plow. I have a piece of conveyor belt that I was thinking of re-purposing but it's only 1/2" thick so I'll have to double up.

May I see some pics of rubber plow edge on your snow plow please?

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge #2  
I scored a Meyer 6.5' plow setup for a pickup truck last year so I wanted to use it this snow season. I'm using a SSQA plate and converted the system over for SSQA operation. Trouble is that the metal cutting edge is worn down quite a bit and I need to do something. I'm plowing gravel roads so I'm thinking of getting a rubber plow edge and sandwich it between the worn steel cutting edge and the snow plow. I have a piece of conveyor belt that I was thinking of re-purposing but it's only 1/2" thick so I'll have to double up.

May I see some pics of rubber plow edge on your snow plow please?

I bought a 1" thick and 10" wide rubber strip to use on gravel before the gravel froze over all the way. It worked great in not messing up the gravel
I had a lot of the rubber blade hanging down so I could avoid using the FEL float and just set the front blade so the rubber edge would be folded over about half way. That pretty much made sure the rubber edge make contact with ground even with minor low and high points on my driveway. The gravel you see on the side berms on the last photo is from using the steel edge and FEL float after a previous snowfall. That's why I decided to try the rubber edge.

The blade in the photo was meant for my L3901 and is too small for the MX. The blade also doesn't float on the SSQA plate.

IMG_4117_zps5ncwtjmz.jpg

IMG_4118_zpshgp732yc.jpg

IMG_4123_zpswda83nci.jpg

IMG_4119_zpsy0978whs.jpg

IMG_4126_zpsurx5kkei.jpg

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge #3  
I converted a Meyers blade to my 2615 and I went to Tractor Supply and got a stall mat. I think it is about 3/4" thick. I sandwiched it between the cutting edge and blade. I let it hang 2" below the cutting edge. The mat is cut big enough to flip it over when one edge gets bad. I usually get one season out of it before flipping it over. I put it on in two pieces which works out easier for me.

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge
Good info gents and thank you very much for the pics. Stall mats, didn't think about that, now that's a good idea. The cost of a 8" wide rubber material 1" thick is rather expensive here in Abq because I have to purchase a roll of 50'.

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge #5  
i have one of these for my truck that I also use on my tractor, it has a 1" stiff rubber cutting edge on it. I have 900' of road made out of crushed concrete and I've had the plow for 12 years now and it's holding up awesome. I just looked and they charge $305.00 (holy crap) for a rubber cutting edge. Now I'm really glad it's holding up awesome!

SnowSport HD Utility Plow | Truck Plows & Snow Blade

I would try the rubber stall mat from TSC, much cheaper!

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge
I also happen to have a section of conveyor belt that's 5' long and 1/2" thick. So, I'll cut it up, double it up and try to span the entire 6.5' length. This would be a cheap experiment before purchasing an actual rubber material.

/ Snow plowing using rubber plow edge #7  
Here's another +1 for the TSC stall mat. I used a straight edge and a sharp razor knife to cut through it. A bit of oil helps to keep from binding the blade up.