Solenoid Diverter Valve Operation Question

/ Solenoid Diverter Valve Operation Question #1  

Hilbilly

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L6060HSTCC
I have recently installed and now starting to use an electric diverter valve and wonder if I am doing any damage to the valve or the solenoid by operating it the way I am. When operating my grapple I use the curl function to gather up some branches, rocks, etc and then, without returning the joystick to the neutral position, I push the button to activate the grapple lid. Is this an issue since the hydraulic system is under pressure when I push the button? Does anyone know for sure? My valve did not come with any information, just a valve in a plastic wrap.

/ Solenoid Diverter Valve Operation Question #2  
Yes, you are supposed to select the curl or grapple before using the valve lever.

/ Solenoid Diverter Valve Operation Question
Thanks J.J.

I've been using it quite a bit today and tried to go to neutral before pushing the solenoid button but sometimes I hit it too soon. Do you think I am causing it damage? Do I really need to focus on this issue until it becomes second nature or is just better to go to neutral first.

/ Solenoid Diverter Valve Operation Question #4  
I would say yes, as you are asking the solenoid valve to work against a pressurized force.

On one of the valves I have seen, it says specifically to select the function before applying pressure.

Thanks again J.J. Looks like I better get this worked out or I'll pay for it in the future. Maybe a lot sooner than I'd like.

/ Solenoid Diverter Valve Operation Question #6  
I agree 110% with JJ on this - I was working maintenance in heavy industry the last 35 years of my working (for wages, anyway) life, and shock loading of ANYTHING was the quickest way to destroy it short of a cutting torch. This is true whether it's running a fork lift into a concrete wall at speed, switching full pressure into a static line, dropping something 20 feet onto the ground VS. lowering it slowly, etc...

It might help if you think of the secondary function as a completely different valve (even if you use the same lever to operate it) - but since YOU are paying for replacement of broken things, it'll be well worth your while to develop the habit of switching functions with the joystick in NEUTRAL...

Dunno about you, but I find it's easier to remember to do (or NOT do) things if I understand the WHY and the results... Steve

Maybe I was better off with the switch in a different location. That way I had to let go of the joystick to switch the valve. I will just have to focus on getting this right. I think think the hardest part is returning it to neutral before letting of of the button. That may take a little longer to etch into the old grey matter but I am sure it will come with enough practice.