Some trailer build questions

/ Some trailer build questions #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I am almost completed with the build for my utility trailer, but am at a little bit of a loss, for a couple of the final steps.

First is the tailgate. I do not have pics yet, but if it comes to a stalemate for ideas, I can get some. The sides of my trailer are angle iron, 1 1/4" verticals, and 2" on the top. The sides are 16" tall, and the tailgate sits about 12" above the top rails of the sides. I am looking for ideas to latch the tailgate in the upright (closed) position, that will stay that way while in transit.

Second, I have also made some ramps that attach to the tailgate in the down position and am looking for ideas to hold the tailgate in a horizontal position, and still allow me to lower it about 4" below horizontal, for when the ramps are attached. This is because the trailer sits a bit high and will allow an easier transition for vehicles with low ground clearance. I have thought of chains but unsure how much weight they will hold and how, exactly, to make them so I can have dual stop positions.

Third, I want some type of support for the end of the tailgate, and maybe the ramps, for when loading heavy vehicles (my MF1010, with FEL, and drag box, will be the heaviest thing that will fit, so I'm guessing 1800-2000lbs tops). I would like something that stays attached to the tailgate and the ramps, so I don't lost it (which I surely would).

Thanks for the help, in advance.

/ Some trailer build questions #2  
Why not just make your tailgate taller so it can function as a ramp? This is the way your typical lanscape trailer is made.

As for the latches for holding the tailgate vertical, you can buy them at Tractor Supply. They are kind of expensive (about $14 each) but look like they will work and I've seen them on lots of trailers (just bought a pair for mine..).

I'm also trying to decide on a method of holding my tailgate level and have been going back and forth between a straight piece of steel bar with holes drilled in it and a cable arrangement.

Here is the link for the Tractor Supply latch.

Carry-On Trailer Trailer Gate Pin Repair Kit - 1075359 | Tractor Supply Company

Best of luck with your build and please post pictures when you can.

/ Some trailer build questions #3  
If you are concerned about how high the gate sticks up, you can fold it in the middle like this.

attachment.php

You can make your own pins to hold it up by bolting or welding pins to the rear vertical and then a piece of angle or strap welded to the gate with a hole. Then you just need a lynch pin. That's what I normally do.

You could also cut two pieces of angle that weld to the rear upright, then a single that slides in between them on the gate. Drill holes all the way through and just drop a hitch pin through.

There are probably a million different ways to do it.

Dave

Attachments

• 058_big.gif
    058_big.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 12,061
   / Some trailer build questions
Well, I did consider the folding tailgate, that was my first idea, but the weight of the gate and materials cost were more than my modest budget would allow. Already I am over budget, but it would have been almost twice as much to build that way, plus it would have weighed a LOT more. The trailer is already a tank, and I didn't want to make it any worse.

The landscape gate, was also considered, but I have 5ft ramps and a 2 1/2ft tailgate, this is to allow a more gentle slope for loading, which is what i wanted. A 7ft tailgate would be way too much.

Dave, thanks for the link. I now have some more solid ideas.

Any info/links for ramp or tailgate braces?