Sounds like transmission clatter after blowing bucket hose

/ Sounds like transmission clatter after blowing bucket hose #1  

Jacey

Tractor
Ford 1210
I've been through a world of it since I blew a hose on my bucket. Immediately after replacing the hose, I had a clatter that took me a long time to rule out/replace a rubber boot that separates parts on the drive shaft. Trying to eliminate the obvious alternatives to major problems with gears not meshing or other. Turns out my hydro oil was mostly water, and still has a good bit of water after the first change this AM. My question is, can water in the hydro cause a sound like clatter. It isn't isolated to the front or back, which makes me wonder if it isn't related to air or water in the hydro oil and that subsequent changes may rectify it. Other than the hose blowing, this tractor has purred along without much issue for years. Hope someone knows. It is a Ford 1210 if that matters, with hydro static drive.

/ Sounds like transmission clatter after blowing bucket hose #2  
Water in a hydro is not good and can make all manner of noises. From my understanding, at the operating temps in an HST the water can almost immediately turn to steam as it passes through parts of the system which will cause various rapid pressure changes as it passes through the system resulting in weird noises and operation. Get the water out ASAP. Here is another thread about a NH HST that was full of water...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/142432-water-hst-my-tc34da.html

Some searching will yield other results, it's not a common issue, but the common fix is get it water free by doing a couple fluid changes or filtering the water out.

/ Sounds like transmission clatter after blowing bucket hose
Water in a hydro is not good and can make all manner of noises. From my understanding, at the operating temps in an HST the water can almost immediately turn to steam as it passes through parts of the system which will cause various rapid pressure changes as it passes through the system resulting in weird noises and operation. Get the water out ASAP. Here is another thread about a NH HST that was full of water...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/142432-water-hst-my-tc34da.html

Some searching will yield other results, it's not a common issue, but the common fix is get it water free by doing a couple fluid changes or filtering the water out.

Very interesting, and thanks for the link you sent.

I do know the fluid on this model has a cooling unit, so it rarely heats up. It was cool when I drained it this AM, despite being run for quite a while.

I was told to run it long enough to get the new hydro fluid to emulsify with the water to get better results. I do know the water will be the first thing to drain out if not done that way. Do you know if running it or changing it without doing that matters? I have never heard of the water removing filters mentioned in the link. There were only 3 filters to fit the hydrostatic pump in the whole country. Believe it or not, I've had this tractor 25 years and never had an issue until now with it. I sure hope it's not a goner. I hear getting parts is close to impossible.

/ Sounds like transmission clatter after blowing bucket hose #4  
Water in a hyd system is not a good thing, but if you emulsify the water and fluid, you make things worse, as the water emulsified fluid is all throughout the hyd system, where as if you had drained the water before you ran the hyd system, you would be happy, as the water would settle to the lowest point, and most hyd pickups are above the bottom of the reservoir. Then just drain the water.

Best thing is to store the tractor in a building or shed, or put a good tarp over the tractor.

As an example:

If you leave a 5 gal bucket of oil with about 1 gal remaining, and opened so rain water can fill it, you will soon see the oil float to the top and water take it's place, except the oil that sticks to the sides. .

/ Sounds like transmission clatter after blowing bucket hose
Water in a hyd system is not a good thing, but if you emulsify the water and fluid, you make things worse, as the water emulsified fluid is all throughout the hyd system, where as if you had drained the water before you ran the hyd system, you would be happy, as the water would settle to the lowest point, and most hyd pickups are above the bottom of the reservoir. Then just drain the water.

Best thing is to store the tractor in a building or shed, or put a good tarp over the tractor.

As an example:

If you leave a 5 gal bucket of oil with about 1 gal remaining, and opened so rain water can fill it, you will soon see the oil float to the top and water take it's place, except the oil that sticks to the sides. .

Yeah, that puzzled me. This was on recommendation of a Ford NH lead mechanic two counties over to have it run a while to emulsify it. I wonder if part of that might be because a couple of gallons remain even after a change, if a recent poster knows what he's talking about. I'll have to ask him about that issue.

I'll try to store it better, but for now, I need to see if changing the oil fixes the problem.