Spark Plug Help

/ Spark Plug Help #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I have several pieces of equipment that are powered by Briggs and Stratton engines.
Everything from Generators, pressure washers, lots of lawnmowers etc.
Living far from the city, what is one good basis general spark plug brand and number to keep on hand as a replacement?
sherpa

/ Spark Plug Help #2  
I try to keep 1-2 of each for my equipment. NGK ,champion is what I use most

/ Spark Plug Help
I think all the small 3-4 HP Briggs engines take something like a Champion CJ-6 for the lawnmowers?

/ Spark Plug Help #4  
All my briggs engines take either the RJ19LM or the CJ8. I do have some CJ6 for my chainsaw and trimmer

/ Spark Plug Help
DFB,
You are probably right, the CJ6 was in my chain saw?

/ Spark Plug Help #6  
You may want to invest in a spark plug cleaner to use in a pinch. I believe HF sells them. Very convenient when you've got an oil or fuel soaked plug and no replacement.

/ Spark Plug Help #7  
An old neighbor showed me a great trick where he would use an old oil burner transformer to burn off anything fouling a plug. I wouldn't recommend it since you're dealing with very high voltages but back in the day when the 2 strokes in snow machines would foul plugs left and right buying new plugs was cost prohibitive.

680260_orig.jpg

/ Spark Plug Help #9  
You cant just keep one plug there all different. Many lawnmowers are the rj19lm. Some weedeaters and small stuff are cj4 some cj9. old johnson outboards i beleive are cj6. But just look at the plug and buy them on like amazon with enough stuff that you get free shipping then put in your shop. But honestly sparkplugs rarely fail with our high quality 2 stroke oil. I mean they wear down after years but i honestly dont think other than cracked insulators in auto plugs have i ever had on fail. I almost never change them in equiptment. I will pull them and check them when needed. If they get fouled you can spray them with carb cleaner and take a wire brush and clean them pretty good, and then spray again and most of the carbon is gone. I just replaced last year my chain saw plug after 8 years. the electrode had eroded away into a dome shape. saw still ran fine but i had to totally dissasemble the saw and pull the cylinder off to get a part of the Decomp vave out of it where it fell apart and jamed between teh head and the piston, so i went ahead and changed it as the part crushed the electrode strap to the plug. In a pinch i could of just regapped it but i was ordering stuff on amazon so i just got a new plug too.

Sorry for the rambelling answer, but...