spark plug

/ spark plug #1  

poorboy

Silver Member
I spent sunday afternoon trying to start my honda foreman. Come to find out it was just the sparkplug that finally decided to go out. It was original equipment and was still giving fire. I guess after 5.5 years there just comes a time. BTW I learned alot about the atv. I especially like the convient knob to adjust the idle on the carb. I went ahead and turned it up a little for the winter. In my trial and error I noticed a tube at the bottom of the carb and I was wondering where the other end originally went. It was sort of clean at the tip like it was plugged into somewhere but I couldn't for the life of me find a place to plug it into.

Patrick

/ spark plug #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In my trial and error I noticed a tube at the bottom of the carb and I was wondering where the other end originally went. It was sort of clean at the tip like it was plugged into somewhere but I couldn't for the life of me find a place to plug it into. )</font>

It is just and overflow/vent tube. It doesn't attach anywhere else.

/ spark plug #3  
It is an overflow tube for the carb, also used to drain the floatbowl for the carb. With todays gas quality I drain my ATV's carbs either by shutting off gas and letting them idle to use remaining gas in carb, or there is a screw on the bottom of the float bowl you turn and this lets remaining gas drain.

I also use fuel stabilizers but keep the carbs drained if not to be used in 30 days.

I have found out the hard way what stale gas sitting in a carb will do.

/ spark plug #4  
Yes, it is a good idea to either run an ATV or drain the carburetor if it is not to be used for awhile. I prefer to start them up and run them a little periodically as this seems to also help prolong the life of the battery even though I add Sta-bil to all the gas in my cans. I have had to manually clean the carb on my Dad's Suzuki LT-250 4WD and replace the floats after it sat unused for a time. The motorcycle type carbs may be more prone to these problems since I have never had a similar problem with any of the Briggs engines that I have and sometimes it is three to four months or more before I exercise them routinely.

Jeff