sparkless in Wilseyville

/ sparkless in Wilseyville #1  

JC4000

Tractor
Ford 4000 gas
Hi all,
Ford 851 , moving a log ( probably more log that it should be attached to) going well, when I cut the throttle too much, engine shut down, and now she sits - still chained to the log . . . There's fuel, and it cranks fine, but no spark at the plugs, or points. 12v on either side of the coil . Condenser?
Thanks, JC

/ sparkless in Wilseyville #2  
From left field, but could it have jumped time when the engine stopped sudden like it sounds like it did?

/ sparkless in Wilseyville
Hi,
Seems the points weren't opening, and now it's back up and doing well. Recently ran into a great grey owl nest and the timber harvest, and oh my goodness did things go sideways . . . So efforts have gotten placed elsewhere!
Thanks, JC

/ sparkless in Wilseyville #4  
From left field, but could it have jumped time when the engine stopped sudden like it sounds like it did?

jumped timing? these use timing gear.. if it jumped timing.. the gear has teeth missing or something indexed ont he shaft real bad... I'd call this a virtual snipe hunt on that style of engine.

/ sparkless in Wilseyville #5  
Hi,
Seems the points weren't opening, and now it's back up and doing well. Recently ran into a great grey owl nest and the timber harvest, and oh my goodness did things go sideways . . . So efforts have gotten placed elsewhere!
Thanks, JC

points not opening? Naa.. more likely not making contact.. thus not closing electrically... you said you had 12v on either side of the coil.. that indicates no points closed, and no condensor shorted, and no short at the feed thru insulator.

I'd clean your points.. and also look for pitting.. if pitted, make sure you have a real 12v coil, or a proper resistor an 6v coil.

If no pitting, but you lost spark, you might have a thermal failure in a component like a switch.

post back.. these problems rarely HEAL, though sometimes they do come and go.. especially when you don't want them to pop up.. better to actually fix than to hope it's fixed.